I've got an old IH 500 that I use for dragging the occasional log out of the woods and genral duty work around my place and brothers farm Couple weeks ago I was driving it across a field, turned it to the right a little bit and it just stopped, no warning no slippage just stopped. I pulled the top of the 3 speed transmission, with it running the reverser in gear and the trans mission in neutral it doesn't even try to spin the tranny over. not even a twitch. It is circulating oil big time though. I've been told they have a habit of wiping the splines out on the stub shaft that drives the pump. If that was the case I wouldn't think I would have hydraulic flow at all. Even if that was the problem you would think it either wouldn't be circulating the oil and that it would at least twitch the input shaft a bit. I pulled the valve on the side and can't find anything wrong with it. I'm guessing anything else is going to require pulling the engine to get the reverser and tranny out. What should I be looking for? The oil does have a very slight burnt smell to it. What oil should be in it? I think it had 10 weight hydraulic in it. I don't remember. One of my nephews and I rescued it out of the weeds 7 years ago and I doubt we have put 100 hours on it in that time.
Welcome to HEF Robert M! :drinkup
Thanks countryboy!! Strange that the first guy to welcome me is from Jones county. You see I used to live in Macon and we drug the old IH out of the weeds outside of Gray Hows that for a coincidence?
That's no coincidence. Countryboy is the first guy to welcome everybody to HEF. Wanna see him in his doorman uniform?
LOL. digger I may not know anyone here, but I know that sure isn't Countryboy. One thing I learned living in GA is no self respecting Ga boy would be caught dead in that getup
That is kinda weird. My uncle just moved to Florida last week from Ackron(?), Ohio. Add that to the list of weird. :cool2 Where bouts in Jones County did ya get that from? You know that equipment from the South doesn't work too good up North. The duct tape and chicken wire don't seem to hold up to well up there. Tell um Wrenchbender. :yup Thats the Southern Hospitality kickin' in. :drinkup Yall hungry? Mamas got some grits n' sausage in tha skillet. That guys to clean cut. You know us Jawja boys are a little rough around the edges.
It was from out around Gray somewheres, that was 8 years ago or so, I got trouble remembering what was for breakfast, Oh though the wife did find non instant grits today! We removed all the souther duct tape and replaced it with Yankee bailing wire,