!995 DT466E in a 4600 fire truck. Problem started when it died a couple of time when in light load use. It would start right back up. Got back to station and would not start. Replaced ICP (no reason), replaced fuel pump and all seals in fuel lines. Had injectors rebuilt. No codes up to this point. Would not start. Got code of faulty CMP. Replaced and starts just fine now. It will start fine and run in bay at any speed up to rated max for as long as you wish. When you drive,it runs fine,shifts at rated rpm (Allison)and planes out good.After about a minute or less it stops just like turning off a switch and blows a large cloud of fuel smoke. I assume smoke is from the injectors putting fuel in engine with engine not running but don't know. HEUI system. It will immediately restart and run smooth until you try to load and go again. Being a firetruck there is no coolant sensor. It throws no code that a basic handheld or the onboard readers detect.
We had 1 in the shop doing that. No codes, just stopped.. Traced it to the wiring harness. There are 2 if I remember correctly. They are not cheap.. We ended up replacing 1 at a time, hoping to get lucky. Ended up w/ 2 new harness's and it fixed the problem.. Never did find the exact culprit. While its running, go around the engine and start wiggling harness connectors.. very frustrating, I know.
Check on the firewall for the block that holds the 5 pin relays. There's a good chance it is one of those critters, I've seen them get dirty and a simple removal and reseat will fix it. With that said though, relays aren't that expensive. You should also check the fuse holders in the battery box also, they can get corroded from acid fumes.
Welcome to the Forums firetruck! Our 1999 4700 DT466 did the same thing, no codes either. We changed the cam sensor and cleaned the main ground from the starter to the battery. There is a small wire with the main ground at the battery that can get corroded in the connector. The truck's been running fine since. Hope this helps.
Dt466 Thanks for reponse. First off I said 1995 but is a 1997 so that makes it a E like your 1999. I changed CMP when had no start and got a faulty cam code. Cured the no start. If bad or dirty would it not throw a code again.Also, I read somewhere that you depth mic the hole for the sensor and shim to a certain clearance. The old sensor had no shims and neither did new one. Is this a go/no go sensor or does it need shimming? I've messed a lot with crank postion sensors on race cars and they have a clearance spec but they either detect or not. Also, when she dies I do not have a loss of electrical power issue, just motor cuts off. What is that small wire with the main ground go to. Being a firetruck they installed a master disconnect battery switch and since I don"t see a small wire to ground side, they may have moved it..................Thanks for your help
Dt466e This is further on that 1995 IH Firetruck. First, I accidently typed 1995 when it is actually a 1997 hence the E. I removed the EECthe VPM and the injection control module. Reason being, I just found out from guy driving it when it first died that he smelled slight electrical smoke smell in cab when it restarted.I wanted to check all my pins and wires for signs of heat. Was able to open EEC and VPM. Injection control was sealed. I assume because it sits in engine bay while the other 2 are (deep!)inside the dash. No signs of heat anywhere. Can any of these 3 modules cause my issue and not throw a code and can they be tested?............Thanks
Your disconnect should be on the positive battery cable, right? Is there just one cable from the negative terminal to ground? and that's probably grounded to the frame? you should have a cable that goes to the engine block, and sometimes to the body also. These can be from the battery, or from the frame to block, body. Clean those, check for any loose connections etc, or just add new ones right along side the old ones. Edit: just read your newest post, double check any grounds you find in the cab, any wire going to a screw terminal on the body, usually black insulation.