A repair customer of mine has a TD 25C which he bought and has left to sit for several years as he doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground about repairing it or running it. It was started recently and moved a few feet by a potential buyer so it does run and move. I don't know yet what year it is. It was parked running with a rusted fuel line leaking into the engine. It has a power tilt blade and rock pads. I have a TD20B and know what problems parts can be but if this machine is in decent condition and can be bought cheap enough, would it, being what it is, be a good farm machine? I see some still being run but wonder if it is one that I would need two or three parts machines to keep one running. Have been thinking about it as he needs money more than a bulldozer to keep his farming hobby financed. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Big machine--they weigh in around 66k and are 300hp. Big machine for farm use,this coming from a man with a 250c on his farm lol. How's the under carriage?
Going to go back and look at it again but as I recall it was in decent shape. It may actually be a TD 25B but I am not sure. It will be about the same as the D8H I run for land clearing and there is no replacement for size and grunt when you run into a big tree. Much quicker and more satisfying to just knock a big tree down instead of having to dig on it a while. Bigger is better up to the point my support machinery can't deal with it. I have run smaller machines and they just leave me wanting... more horsepower. Cut my fuel 50/50 with cleaned used oil and they aren't too bad to run.
"Cut my fuel 50/50 with clean used oil..." Holy crap! Now i've heard it all. I must be really wet behind the ears. What kind of oil are we talking here? My first thought is metal particles making mush out of the fuel injection pump etc. Can you elaborate a little? Ken
Sure. I take clean used engine and hydraulic oil, screen and 10 micron filter it, mix it 50/50 with diesel in a pressure vessel and run it at 120 psi through another 10 micron filter and then through a centrifuge to spin out what is left. have been running three Roosa pumped haying tractors, my TD20B and my '96 Ford Powerstroke on it with no problems. Cuts my fuel costs in half and has made them run better.
I've ran used engine oil in my peterbilt with a 3406B and in my 99 dodge with a 24 valve electronic and they both ran great on the stuff
Actually 50/50 is pretty tame. There's nothing to separating the water out and you can even drop the carbon out if you know what you are doing. A friend of mine was buying corn oil that didn't make food grade by the tanker loads when fuel first got high. That stuff was unreal in a 7140 Magnum or 8100 John Deere
The TD25B parts are all but extinct, they are worth what they weigh. The TD25C was a much better machine. If it is a TD25C there are still a lot of them around and a lot of parts and they share undercarriage parts with the still manufactured Dressta TD25M
My used oil is water free but what about removing the carbon? I have looked on internet and haven't found any info on doing that. What is done and what do I look for? Is it prohibitively expensive?
The problem with used oil as fuel is labor and equipment. And my 2000 dodge 24 valve didn't like anything above 20 % oil. SEVERAL passes through a centrifuge after a cheap filter that takes lumpies out would be less expensive filter wise. A good centrifuge is gonna set you back probablly 600 USD and filters and holding tanks add to cost also. The older engines can handle the oil better than newer rigs. BTW, Injection pump servicing shops love to see you come in also. And don't even thing about chicken or french frying oil!!!!