Hello, Looking for some feedback. I have the chance to purchase an early 60's International TD-9. The owner claims that the engine has been rebuilt. It's a direct start with turbo. He states the undercarriage is at about 50%. He also states that one of the hydraulic cylinders has a small leak. It has a 4 way hydraulic blade with a manual side to side adjustment. It has been serviced with all new fluids, filters and new glow plugs. I am attaching a few pictures. The owner wants $6500. My question is, what is the value of the machine? Anything I should be cautious about? This will be used on my property with about 50-100 hours a year.
It's always tough to judge old machines , A good start would be the undercarraige looks more worn just by the gaps in the track plates in the rear. Grousers are worn down. Lift the blade up and see if the back of the cutting edge bolts are worn down and if the moldboard is worn, cutting edge looks ready to turnover. check the track rollers for leaks. lift the machine up with the blade and see if you can pry the trackrollers up and down with a bar to check the bearings. Any leaks in the finaldrives? They get worn and can be a problem. Tough toknow clutch condition on them,it would be good if you could run it for a while. All in all looks like a tidy machine , none of the above would be a deal breaker but I would probably offer less. Parts are around but usually have to chase them down used somewhere. I currently have an old T6 and only run it a few dozen hrs a year but they do break down. Steve
He did not mention any leak in the finals. What would you offer?
Take a good look at the rearend housing for cracks. Lots of them got left in the woods around here, left right where the housings broke. If no cracks it could serve you well if you treat it decent.
Thanks! I will check for that.
can you get some pictures of the - rails - sprockets - pins and bushings , that would help in determining the under carriage witch helps set a price
I will see if he can send some. That's all he had to send today.
I bought a Dresser TD7G. paid 11500. It needed a bit of work, filters, oil, etc. Mine is 25 - 30 years newer than yours. An undercarriage is going to cost the asking price. Clutches, or a host of other problems will be expensive if you have to hire them done. I vote hold out for something newer with fewer issues, don't be hooked by a low purchase price.