Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH TD25B weight

Len220 · 2025-11-14 07:38

Just bought this old girl. TD25BG 5590, so a manual transmission, direct drive model, which I believe was manufactured in ‘64. I need to float it home, but first I need to give the carrier an accurate weight. The figures I have researched: bare dozer - 22.6 ton (metric ?). With blade and rippers - 33 ton. Looking at the pictures, can anyone tell me the Make and Model of the rippers, and the total weight of this machine?

Replies16
  1. #1D6 Merv2025-11-14 13:24

    Look like standen rippers, were a Aust co that made rippers for IH and AC. Definetly be around 32 metric ton

  2. #2chidog2025-11-14 23:43

    I always thought that a TD25 was IH answer to the D8. I'd be guessing it is in the 68K plus pounds or more area. I always figure a D8H, fully equipped is in the 80K range.

  3. #3Willie B2025-11-15 07:45

    The IH models when introduced were numbered in tons. A TD 15 weighed about 15 tons American. My TD7G is a later model, but weighs about 14600 (7 tons + 600 LBS). Other models they kept making changes, adding weight. I'll guess 25-26 tons (50,000 LBS) plus extra equipment.

  4. #4Len2202025-11-15 17:13

    In power, transmission arrangement and weight the TD25B G was equivalent to the D8H 36a series. The Operation and Maintenance Manual, which came with the machine, says that the bare dozer weighs 49,015 lbs (22.2 metric ton). The specs for the blade without tilt cylinder vary from 7920 to 9450 lbs. The blade A frame is different to others I‘ve notice on-line. It doesn’t have the heavy lower member that continues onto the back of the blade, so I’m guessing 8,000 lbs. The rippers, I’m unsure about. They appear to have twice as much steel in them as the blade. I was hoping that someone would recognise the type of rippers and be able to tell me the exact wt, or the manufacturer and model. So far, ‘D6 Merv‘ from NZ has suggested the could be Standen Rippers and given a fairly confidant wt estimate (32 metric ton). I can’t find any information for the rippers, except a set that fits a TD15. At the moment my best guess is 33 metric ton (73,000 lbs; 36.4 US short ton).

  5. #5chidog2025-11-16 02:40

    I only think in USA pounds and tons. Though when doing some fab work I use the metric scale, but not for machinist work. I have never liked counting 16ths, 32nds and 64ths etc. Oh yeah the 10ths of foot for dozing etc. LOL

  6. #6Oxbow2025-11-16 05:08

    I can't make the photo out on my phone very well, but my impression of the ripper reminds me of the brand Ateco. The individual shanks were mounted in a housing that could pivot side to side a bit from the ripper frame. As to weight, if I were to guess I would say 70 to 75k lbs. with that angle dozer, but that's purely a guess. I would think you could tell the transport company 80 k or under and be pretty safe. Edit: I recall a similarly dressed TD20 weighed a bit more than a 7G for what it's worth.

  7. #7BC Placer gold2025-11-16 09:27

    At first look I thought perhaps Ateco as well. The pivot system shown is similar. But I don’t think that is the case… Also don’t see the embossed logo. The ripper shown surely is a good heavily built unit! Probably not that helpful, but our 1964 C-6 (in photo) scaled at 67,000lbs with ripper and Garwood U-blade. A photo of our ripper showing Ateco logo:

  8. #8Willie B2025-11-16 20:31

    I don't believe either is that heavy unless extensive add ons. Charlie Abbott claimed a TD25 would push a D8 backward up a hill.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-11-16 22:28

    I heard the TD25 was a little bigger than a D8. As far as the ripper there looks to be a kind of square plate on it that may have a name similar to an Ateco marking. It looks extra heavy duty for sure. The dozer looks in pretty good shape too. Sure it isn't from the late 60's early 70's?

  10. #10Welder Dave2025-11-16 22:31

    That's a nice looking Terex!

  11. #11Tones2025-11-16 22:43

    The rippers look like Kelly made, also made radial rippers, from Toowoomba I think.

  12. #12chidog2025-11-17 00:59

    I haven't dug into the literature and books. But see many D8H's with just blade listed at 70,000 lbs yeah OROPS too. And found a sale brochure on ebay 4bbl ripper is 10,000. So I'm on the money with saying they are 80,000. So anyone have any old TD-25 sales brochures and the top weight? I think a D155 was in the 95,000 range.

  13. #13Welder Dave2025-11-17 03:27

    Quick internet search shows up to 64,000lbs. with dozer. If the ripper is approx. 10,000lbs. the 80,000lbs. Is a good estimate for trucking. A little less HP than later D8H's. Serial 5590 appears to be a 1964. One site mentioned only 840 made between 1962 and 1971 but another source said they were good sellers. I found a brochure on my phone but can't find it on the computer. I did find one on e-bay though. IH International TD-25B Crawler Tractor Brochure | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for IH International TD-25B Crawler Tractor Brochure at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com

  14. #14Welder Dave2025-11-17 04:34

    Ran out of time to edit the above post. I played around for 45 minutes but couldn't copy the link from my phone of the exact website with the brochure. You could try it, maybe it will work for you. International TD-25B CRAWLER Tractorparts.com. The link in the previous post above does bring up a brochure on e-bay though but is missing a couple pages. The full brochure I found is from 1968 and the e-bay is from 1970. Makes no sense why the brochure with the exact website doesn't come up on my computer. Frustrating as hell! Maybe someone else on the forum can find it and paste the whole brochure?

  15. #15Len2202025-11-28 01:45

    Thanks, Welder Dave. Found the brochure online. https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/TD25BCRDZRINFO.pdf

  16. #16chidog2025-11-28 10:44

    Looks lighter than the D8?