Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH295s

malcolm ยท 2009-01-19 02:27

kiwi photos

Replies21
  1. #1Buckethead2009-01-19 08:54

    Nice pics! My father ran some 295s and 270s back in the old days.

  2. #2Mr Euclid2009-01-20 05:09

    Nice Photos Malcom. By the looks of things there are 3 or 4 lying about as well as a Payhauler or two in the background. Are these ex Bakers by any chance? Regards Mr Euclid

  3. #3malcolm2009-01-21 01:39

    295s Hi mr euclid you have good eyes including the wrecked one there are 4 here plus 5 payhaulers I took the photos but am still working on their history with conflicting storys I will have to take a box of beer and go and see the owner before this one more to follow cheers malcolm

  4. #4Dug Overburden2009-01-21 02:08

    295's what engine That looks like an 817 engine? I heard they did not last long in this application? I think it was one of the better sounding engines I have heard. Dug

  5. #5WabcoMan2009-01-21 03:18

    IH 295s Malcolm, I'll see your two and raise you three:drinkup

  6. #6Mr Euclid2009-01-21 07:54

    4 x 295 scrapers and 5 x Payhaulers! Looks like one of the largest earthmoving fleets in NZ is in sitting in that field! Thanks for the additional photos and I am sure there is an interesting story behind them all as well. Keep em coming!

  7. #7Taylortractornu2009-01-23 15:56

    My neighbor had an old 295E paddlewheel. They used it in there road building business and when they closed parked everything she had a weak motor but he had a new one in a crate for it. It sat there several years and the torchman got it Very sad day got a running 260 AC and a Gradall and an IHCTD25 that I had run a few months before. I still miss seeing it in the field. I tried to buy it once I knew where a deal wwas in a working Clark 290M but I didnt have a push tractor I had a man wanting the 295 cab for a water wagon and I wanted an elevating scraper. The first time I got to climb in the bowl I was amazed at how high the top of the chains were.

  8. #8Kiwi432013-07-28 04:36

    295B's working on the UWPD Twizel

  9. #9RZucker2013-07-28 15:25

    I have only seen 270s here in the states, but the 295 looks like a good machine actually. Is that equivalent to an S24 or an S28? And I do think a short piped 817 is pure music! Maintained a few PH100 trucks, and got to play with then a bit. And ran an older TD24 a bit too.

  10. #1068M2013-07-29 04:49

    All three gone to the scrap man, what a shame.

  11. #11R.D.G0132013-07-29 20:02

    About 20yrs+++ maybe a few more, there was one floating around Tauranga, J E Prince who was a local contractor was using it on a road job in the area, dont know if it was theirs or a hired in one, had been repowered with an 8V 92T from memory, dont know where it went after that. Cheers RDG.

  12. #12Kiwi532013-08-03 11:48

    The 295 was far from reliable and had engine and transmission issues. While on the UWPD project at least three were re-powered with Cummins KT1150's, fore runner to the K19 I think. Those engines went extremely well but the weak link in the 295 was the transmission. Allison six speeds. Originally they came with a cable shift and were manual then we converted them over to the automatic shift. It never helped as the killer was the splitter clutches. They were just too small for the task and burned up really bad. Most of that I put down to the hydraulic retarder as the torque regeneration when going downhill on the retarder was about 5 times what the engine could produce. If it down shifted when retarding the clutch could not lock up. The other weak ling was the rear transfer case. They had simple ball bearings on the gears and would disassemble themselves regularly. That was improved by pinning the outer races into the case but then it was a right royal poofter lining up the slots and balls and dropping the case on. The case was tight fit so needed some encouragement to slide down over three bearings. A severe beating was often required and the damned locking ball would pop out at the last minute. That meant fishing for the ball or remove the cover and start again. Then they invented super glue. That made it a little easier.

  13. #13RZucker2013-08-03 12:42

    Those were most likely the 5960 trans then, the 5965 was updated with an extra friction and steel plate in both splitter clutches. That seemed to help in just that application. I also seem to remember that Allison cautioned NOT to do any shifting with the retarder applied. I don't know the date of the upgrade, but do recall an SPI in the Allison parts manual to convert the splitter clutches.

  14. #14Kiwi532013-08-03 14:13

    Yes, They were 5960's from memory and the upgrade must have come out later on in the scene. I worked on these up until about 1980, maybe 79 and we had Allison engineers visit us etc to try and come up with a fix. The downshifting requirement was good in theory but the fully automatic conversion often left the guy at the top of the ramp in the wrong cog so speak and an inadvertent downshift was common. Im sure there was a downshift inhibitor of some sort as well. I know CAT had the shift lock pedal on the 631's and Im sure IH had some way to lock the auto shift. Just cannot recall how right now. Its been a while of course

  15. #15RZucker2013-08-03 14:52

    Same here, its been awhile. Strange that they would have gone to fully automatic shifting in an app like that. Downshift inhibitors... I had a minor tendency to "disable them accidently" when I had to run a machine. haha.

  16. #16Aussie John2013-08-04 05:11

    Here is a rare photo I took of 13 of the 15 295 Pay scrapers as discussed by Allan lined up at the Camp 6 base on the Tekapo Canal site. The 14th one is shown up on stands having the transmission changed out. No. 15 was probably at the main repair shop. John

  17. #17Aussie John2013-08-04 05:19

    Here is a shot of the tractors also at the Camp 6 site during 1975 / 76. They are a mix of D9G, D8H & K, D7F & G and a Komatsu D155. The 3 D7F tractors with-out blades are towing tandem Pacific brand vibrating rollers.

  18. #18RZucker2013-08-05 00:50

    Really enjoyed those pics, Aussie John. I like the "look back in time" aspect. And views of equipment we will never see again. Thank for sharing.

  19. #19Kiwi532013-08-05 12:57

    Fantastic photos John, brings back many memories. Especially the 295 perched up in the air with the transmission out. They all spent a decent amount of time like that from memory. A transmission that made 2 or 3000 hours was an exceptionally good run.

  20. #20Aussie John2013-08-08 06:37

    Allan, I can remember that after changing a transmission, we had to operate the scraper for a while before handing it back to production to show that it was working as it should be. Clocked up a few operating hours on scrapers on these test runs.

  21. #21glenlunberg2013-08-12 21:31

    Hi Aussie John. Great pictures! I really love the tire of the first photo. It's very big and for me, it's very hot.