Airport construction, Wellington, New Zealand Motor Scrapers on site: Caterpillar DW-15 (5) Euclid SS-12 (10) S-18 (1) TS-24 (1) 16TDT (3) LeTourneau-Westinghouse C Roadster Tournapull & P19 Carryall (2) C Tournapull & CM9 Carryall International Harvester 2T-55 (2) 2T-75 (1) Allis-Chalmers TS-200 (2)
Part two of the saga...
Those are some cool pics WabcoMan. I see what looks like a Bucyrus hoe in the background of one of those pic
Vintage Iron Is that a TD18 in the first picture with a single tooth ripper? Also what is a 16 TDT scraper? Great pics.
Nice old iron there. Thanks for sharing with us.
Great pics from the old days! Thanks a lot for posting them. 16 DT might be a 3 axle? I'd have to get my Euclid book out. Euc had an interesting (confusing) nomenclature for their model designations. alan627b
Glad you enjoyed the pics - there are more soon as I uncover them. ATCOEQUIP - yes thats a model 10 Bucyrus backhoe. Good spotting. Diagonal Brace - Thats a fairly late IH TD-24 with the ripper. The later ones had the aircleaner repositioned halfway along the LH side of the engine. Now for the Euclid 16TDT - same job, down the southern end of the runway carting from a convenient hill
Duals Rule Spent too much time on the Redpower site; had me thinking only 14 and 18's had twin stacks.
Some more pics OK, found some more. The push tractor in the color shot is a Vickers VR160 Vigor (pushing a Euclid SS-12) The Euclid is a B6FDT-B1SH type - British built. Secomd shot is two more Euclid 16TDT's at the top of the hill that was used for fill at the southern end of the runway. Last shot was taken in 1957 and shows a Euclid TS-24 being pushed by a Vickers with a Euclid SS-12 alongside getting a shove from a Cat D8-14A. Almost all the material up to the tide line is fill. Enjoy :drinkup
Whats happened to the pics in posts 1, 2, & 7, or is it only me that cant view them :Banghead The ones I can view in your last post are some great views of some old gear I've never seen before, thanks for sharing :thumbsup
i couldnt view them either
Me neither...it happened last night on some other threads for me too. Excellent pics when I did see them before, keep them coming!
Great pics Wabcoman, keep em coming
Some more... OK, here are some more. The first pic was taken to the left of where the main runway is looking south. There are a Euclid TS-24, Euclid S-18 and an Allis-Chalmers TS-200 can just be seen in front of the IH TD-24 (with the ripper) At the northern end of the runway a LeTourneau-Westinghouse C Tournapull and Euclid TS-24 go about their business. Last shot was taken pretty much in the middle of where the main runway is now located and shows an International 2T-55 departing with its load. Interestingly this machine is about at full turn as the IH 2T's couldn't turn 90 degrees to either side like their competitors could.
And some more... First pic was taken at the northern end of the runway and shows a LeTourneau-Westinghouse C Roadster Tournapull & P19 carryall. There is a substantial fill at this end of the job some 40 ft deep. Second pic was taken in the centre of what is now a taxiway. A small hill had to be removed here. There is lots of equipment in this shot including Euclid SS-12's, Caterpillar D8-14A's, a D9D (at extreme right) and Vickers VR-160 Vigors with LeTourneau LP scrapers (parked up) Last pic is of the machine used to place concrete blocks and "tetrapods" for the breakwater at the extreme southern end of the runway (which is directly exposed to the sea). This LeTourneau-Westinghouse C Roadster Tournapull and C Tournacrane was the only example ever imported into New Zealand.
Loved those pictures Wabcoman. I talked with one of our customers recently who drove scrapers on that job and he was telling me about the hair-raising trips down the hill with a fully laden bowl. Apparently there was supposed to be a guy at the bottom stopping traffic as the site was bisected by a road. One day his attention lapsed and a family narrowly missed being completely wiped out by one of the scrapers - unstoppable, on it's way down! The shots of the Taylor & Culley machines took me back to my childhood, remembering them developing land on the hills around Wellington. This would have been in the early '70's with TS14's in places like Newlands, Tawa and Kelson. They used to name each machine as cartoon characters like Road Runner, and the like. Do you have any other pictures of Taylor & Culley equipment?
Taylor & Culley Hi Pronto Glad you enjoyed the pics. As a matter of fact I served my operators apprenticeship with Taylor & Culley ! I've worked on the Kelson subdivision (and have pics) and also at Mangaweka on atge 1 of the state highway 1 realignment/deviation (also have pics of that too). Got to operate most of their stuff including the old TS-24 and both S-18's but spent most of my time in the seat of a TS-14 or IH TD-25B with Cat 463 towed scraper behind. They bought 2 new Terex TS-18's one of which I had from new but I hated the thing and went back on the TS-14 ! Moved on to Goodmans at Waikanae after T&C shut up shop.:cool2
Thanks for the response. It will be great seeing those pictures of Kelson and Mangaweka when you get to post them. I was in Waikanae on holiday last week and was interested to see that Goodmans had a lot of gear in paddocks behind the yard parked up. Most of the Moxys, Morookas and other large plant was there. The two, recently acquired large Wabcos were being serviced in the new workshop and they were also working on an old Moxy converted to a water cart. In the area next to the rail lines they have what looks like a restored LeTourneau towed scraper. I will post some shots I have of their Wabco scrapers, along with some Terex's and Cat's of the other local contractors when I have had them scanned.
Some great old pictures there
same day same place 53 years ago wellington air port
I wonder whether any of those Euclids were the ones that ended up converted to compactors? Looking back at some of my old pictures I see that both Drapers and John McJorrow had one each up till very recently. I think McJorrows are still using theirs.
is there any old 8 mm film of the gear working.
Malcolm, That first pic of your with the 16TDT and interested spectators was not taken at Wellington airport. It was shot at a demonstration held by the dealership at a place close to Island Basy at a location now known as McAlister Park. I believe it was a landfill of some sort. I have 16mm color movie footage taken there
Hi, Would the photo of the 16TDT and crowd be taken at a golf course in the Wellington area? There was a picture in the book on the history of Clyde Engineering that has a very similar look and is of a Dryden scraper on a golf course and the caption mentioned it was the first 16TDT in NZ at the time which might also explain the crowd. Cheers Mr Euclid
Mr Euclid, That particular photo that Malcolm posted was definately taken at McAlister park. The stand of trees in the background are still there. In his book on Clyde Engineering, Noel Elvines doesn't make any mention of the considerable fuss that was made when the first 16TDT was imported. I have 16mm (silent) color movie footage of the event ointhead
Before and after Thought you may like to see the overall extent of the job. Pic one shows the site before work started. There is a substantial hill in the center of what will become the main runway. Towards the sea on the LH side of the pic is another source of good fill material for the southern end and just out of shot at lower left front is another hill which was also used for fill. All of the houses were saved by the way and relocated. Pic two shows the site with earthworks almost complete and one can see the extent of fill and general chaos that has been created. Both pics taken looking almost due south.
Neat pics, thanks for sharing
WOW! I love before and after shots those are brilliant. I looked carefully at the first picture and envisaged the most likely place for the new runway, bearing in mind you mentioned houses were moved and saved. DOH! :Banghead Tell why I'm an operator not an engineer, I did not envisage it there! :drinkup
When where you working for Goodmans Wabcoman? I spent about 9 years working for them myself. Started on the 111a's then 222's my favorite has to be the 259FT, spent a couple of seasons on that one.
Euclid 16 TDT Hi Wabcoman .Great photos,i showed these to my dad and he said he operated the 2nd of the 16 TDT's that Dryden owned he said it wasn't on site very long before it was moved to Drydens job on the Murupara railway. Craig
I worked for them in the early 1980's - 2 years
Thanks for the good days. That is the first Allis Chalmers scraper I have seen in along time 200 in the pictures. I used to run a 300 it had a 300 Cummings that was turbo and had also a blower they called it supercharged. When we roaded through towns we had to be real careful not to blow the windows out, that engine screamed and had all kinds of power. Now it's all laws!
great pics
Great pics wabcoman thanks for posting. In the pic on pg1 with the 14As pushing the SS12s there is a D9D. Was it one of Stevensons, or whose was it, as was very few other owners of D9Ds here. Duck bros, Horowhenua earthworks, and winstones were supposed to be the only other owners of them with 1 each. And stevensons had 4 each 18A and 19A. post some more pics if you have any. Cheers Merv :drinkup
Hi D6 Merv, The D9D I believe belongs to Horowhenua Earthworks. Yes I do have more pics and I'll post them as soon as I get them scanned.
I love them old pictures thats when I started in the trades 1956 in Kitimat B.C. I ran the old C poles electric switch for steering. I ran the s 18 ts 24 hated the ts. I ran the international 260 and the 360 the 6 wheel Euclid. I love them pictures they bring back memorys. I remember running a cat 621 scrapper and when he pushed me over the point of no return, it was straight down in a new pit, doing the PG railroad. It was so steep I had to open the apron right up or I would of had gravell hitting me in the head. I was about 22 years old and I had no fear. Thanks for the old thoughts come rushing back. I am 70 now and I just retired last year, I loved the guys and food and the traveling all over.I was married 3 times. I would be gone for so long when I come home I would nock on the front door and run around the back door who ever would come out I would say hey pay half the rent. I was never home.
Being Home ? Commitment ????????????????? Geez some guys here never went home for 2 years , went over to Sakhalin Island in Russia , just across from us (ALASKA) next to Japan. Big Oil and Gas Project. Made big bucks, ended up paying USA and Russian Income Taxes ! LOL Not much gain ??? Kinda lawless in a sense that attracts the ???
:lmao:lmao Thats the beauty of mobile phones, if you've been away a while or got rained off and coming home early always call 15mins before arrival and tell her to put the kettle on, be home in 5
To those people that were around Wellington Airport construction , Did this Project not start off by Bognuda Using a conveyor belt to move the material , it didnt work so good, Ministry of works took job over used contractors on hourly rates to complete Airport , I remember Bluey,the Operatore from Horwhenua ,s D9 telling me that it was so windy some days that the fine gravel was picked up , Took all the skin off his ears, had to wear wind protection .
Hey Wankerman is that you in forth photo all tangled up I was up there when the 18,s arrived brand new dont remember you there The only seat time you have done on anything is training for a potty Be honest Richard people think you know everything Be honest, I take my hat off to you Richird with your knowledge But you are no operator you have never have been on all the items you say you have been. Richard I wish you well butt dont talk crap (at the end of a day Richard you could your are having this on
Taylor & Culley I'd be really keen to see some pictures of Taylor & Culley's equipment on the various sites. Growing up in Wellington I remember them working in Tawa, on Stewart Drive in Newlands and other locations. The machines all had unique names like Road Runner, etc. Also would be interested to see shots of Fouhy Maher & Thompson. There was a good one posted at the top of the Hutt Valley hills with all the gear lined up. Hopefully there's some more out there too. Sad to see personal attacks on the forum. Anyone taking the time to post images and contribute is gold in my opinion.
I don't like personal Attacks either Pronto Un called for Lets keep Forum Friendly !!!!! there are so many interesting stories untold
Would someone kindly explain to me what this rabble is all about? If it's a friendly jest, I'll wink and look the other way. But if it's a dubious personal attack on a forum member, I'm inclined to be a bit perturbed as forum rules specifically prohibit using the forum for personal attacks on members. Keep it civil folks.
It would appeaer that I have become a victim of the "tall poppy" syndrome. While it is not nice having unkind things said about you I guess sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth. What I do find disappointing is people passing comments that do not even know me properly or the extent of my involvement within the industry. Over a career of 40 years you get to sample a lot of gear and I feel that I am more than qualified to comment on it We are all here because we enjoy heavy equipment and some of us are very loyal to certain brands and I admire their loyalty. Lets keep it nice & friendy and share the knowledge.:drinkup
Sounds like a plan to me. :drinkup
Personal Attacks This Forum is world wide and is about sharing info and photos not about settling past scores as a fellow Kiwi I was disgusted at the last personal attack on a forum member and I hope this is the last of this we have to endure regards Malcolm ps Terex Kerry you owe the Forum an apology in my book
Personal Attacks I agree with you Malcolm, Keep this forum Friendly lpnt65
I'm new to this forum, and as such I registered for the sole purpose of commenting on this thread. Living in the midwestern US, there's not a huge call for extremely large development projects like this one, and there's some neat pics posted on here- and I thank all for posting and letting us see the work and older equipment that had to be dealt with. Now down to the grit of registering..... I have to also agree with malcom up here... the site IS world wide, and although not being a Kiwi, I was also disgusted and also think an apology is in order for that personal attack. Cheers to all on the site to make it a pleasure to view- and to those that worked on this airport project!! Clam
Terex Kerry, you have lowered the standards of the good-will on this forum. Either 1. leave or 2. Apologise and keep it clean Jim
leave
Wabcoman, great pics and interesting project and stories. We know your level of experience and knowledge, so let terexkerry's attack of bile and bitterness be seen for what it is, and ignore his little diatribe. There's always at least one person with a huge chip on his shoulder who appears on forums, intent on slinging sh$$. They're generally the people who haven't achieved what they think they were entitled to in life, and who take delight in bringing others down. An old Auntie (who lived to a ripe old age) had a great saying. "When you get old, you either get bitter, or get better". We can see what terexkerry has become. Keep posting, we're enjoying it, even if terexkerry isn't.
Thanks OzDozer, Malcolm, Jim, lpnt65, clam77 and all the many other forum members who have contacted me over the last few months. I appreciate your comments & support Its a pity terexkerry has opted out as he had interesting stories to tell.
i just wish told the truth dont knock me untill you guys no how it has come to this there is 2 sides to every story
terexkerry, How about that "leave" being a little longer than a month?
Keep it civil fellas...keep it civil. terexkerry, you are right, there is typically "two sides to every story". But you made some strong comments earlier, like Nov 2011. You yourself chose "leave" in post #50 in Mar 2012. True, Wabcoman did make a post on same day, and even had good things to say about you in closing. So the question is, why, a month later, are you bringing this beef back up with a "there are two sides to every story" theme? I will not allow a titt for tatt argument here to derail a good thread. If that's what transpires, I will lock this thread up. Let's keep it civil fellas.
Great pics !
Hi Wabco Man, I'm writing a book about Jim Dryden - do you have any stories you could share about him? I'd be interested in digitising your movie footage, if you'd be interested in sharing it? Andrew (09)3097636 / drusdrus(at)gmail.com
Hi Craig, I'm working on a book about Jim Dryden. any cahnce you could ask your Dad if he remembers anything about him? Andrew (09)3097636 / [email protected]
awesome pics
Great photos! Those machines are really lovely. Thanks for sharing this interesting photo to us.