Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IHI 28J Excavator Alarm

DripCo ยท 2012-01-10 09:18

I have a 28J IHI Excavator. Last week when I was using it quite a bit, I started hearing an alarm. It was fairly hi pitched & solid. It is coming from under the right armrest area. I checked all of the gauges, and felt the hydraulic oil cooler by touching it. Nothing seemed hot or out of line. I shut it off for an hour or 2, started it back up, the alarm was gone, but then some time later it came back on. I ranit for a while after that, & as I was parking it, it seemed like it was running rough & I shut it off. Started it this weekend & it ran fine, but the alarm came back on after running for a while. I believe it cameon quicker than before though. Has anyone else had this issue like this? Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting. Thanx Drip

Replies4
  1. #1Jlillie22012-01-10 09:40

    On my takeuchi the alarm indicated trouble with the charging system. Mine is the old school setup with a lead that goes directly into the battery to indicate low fluid level. So when I changed to a newer battery that lead had to be tied off to the pos terminal to silence the alarm.

  2. #2DripCo2012-01-10 10:11

    Thanx, I will have to check that. My battery charge light is & has been on

  3. #3MLJ2012-02-22 00:36

    I just got a IHI 35n still learning about it. Will keep this in mind.

  4. #4maddog2012-02-22 08:50

    Check your glow plug indicator, mine(IHI35J) did this and it was the relay. I was actually able to rig the relay to work but plan on changing it before spring. If it is your glow plug alarm then chances are it's constantly on.