I have an overheating issue with this excavator (have an older thread about it), and at this point I'm suspecting there's a problem with the hydraulic pump that may be causing my overheating issue. I don't know the first thing about testing it though. Does anyone have any knowledge about this like what to test for and what the procedure is? I sent an e-mail to the dealer inquiring about this but haven't heard back from them yet.
Good day Kirk Overheating caused by an hydraulic issue will be accompanied by high fuel consumption, if this is not the case I suggest look close at the fan - fan shroud - cooling matrix. I assume it is only hydraulic fluid that heats up and not the engine? You could check the temperature and the hot point using a thermal sensing gun not so expensive. If you have no other issues with the machine maybe worth a thought. Kind regards Uffex
Thanks for the reply. The engine and hydraulic fluid is heating up. In the summer I can get the engine temp up to 220 F by 10 - 11AM. I shot the hydraulic fluid at 170 F. It should be about 130 - 140. The engine can run at high throttle with no issue but as soon as I start using the hydraulics the temp goes up. I've gone through the engine cooling system, I've checked everything on the radiator side of the engine including the hydraulic oil cooler and can't find anything wrong. I checked all the relief pressures and they are all exactly where they're supposed to be. The hydraulic pump is just about the only thing I haven't checked.
Good day Kirk At 130 = 54C I would suggest is a low temperature for Hydraulic fluid 170 = 76C is more normal while the engine temperature is on the high side its not so disturbing, the question is do you have any alarm warnings? You can obtain special cooling fluid that will lower the temperature be sure the likes of the air cleaner is not blocking air flow. I have attached some information which may help. Kind regards Uffex
Its your engine. That hydraulic temp is ok. As said above, check the belts, pulley condition, fan and blades, or core obstruction in the radiator
I'm no hydraulic expert. I talked to the techs at the dealer and they said to measure the oil temp at the hydraulic reservoir. They said normal operating temp should be 130 - 140 F. They said 170 - 180 is too high, and from what I understand, when it gets to 180 it starts ruining seals. I just had to re-seal the rotary joint. I don't know if it was from the hot oil or if it was just its time. I've been through the engine cooling system. If you're interested, I have an older thread on here about it. It was called IHI 35N overheating problem, or something very similar. I didn't want to try to resurrect that old thread so I started a new one specifically about the hydraulic pump.
Good day Kirk Most of the excavators I have worked with in warm climates normally run around that temperature not sure why your should be any different. Here is an extract from a lube specialist you can find on the web. Kind regards Uffex Defining Operating Temperature Limits Having established that the fluid in the system is the correct viscosity grade for the ambient temperature conditions in which the machine is operating, the next step is to define the fluid temperature equivalents of the optimum and permissible viscosity values for the system's components. By referring back to the viscosity/temperature curve for VG 68 fluid in exhibit 1, it can be seen that an optimum viscosity range of between 36 and 16 centistokes will be achieved with a fluid temperature range of between 55°C and 78°C. The minimum viscosity for optimum bearing life of 25 centistokes will be achieved at a temperature of 65°C. The permissible, intermittent viscosity limits of 1000 and 10 centistokes equate to fluid temperatures of 2°C and 90°C, respectively. Going back to our example, this means that with an ISO VG 68 fluid in the system, the optimum operating temperature is 65°C and maximum operating efficiency will be achieved by maintaining fluid temperature in the range of 55°C to 78°C. If cold start conditions at or below 2°C are expected, it will be necessary to pre-heat the fluid to avoid damage to system components. Intermittent fluid temperature in the hottest part of the system, which is usually the pump case, must not exceed 90°C. Note that fluid temperatures above 82°C (180°F) damage seals, reduce the service life of the hydraulic fluid and in most cases, will cause the viscosity limits of the fluid to be exceeded. This means that the operation of any hydraulic system at temperatures above 82°C (180°F) is detrimental and should be avoided.
Kirk, Did you ever find any solution? I only ask is I think I'm having the same issues I have a IHI IS-55UX