Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Illinois CDL TEST

Deere9670 ยท 2008-04-01 11:53

Hello everone, I have decided to go and try to get my cdl(class A). Can anyone tell me what im in for and guide me to some practice tests? Any feedback and advice will help. Thank you! I have the book from the dmv and have been studying that to prepare for the written test.

Replies35
  1. #1xkv8r2008-04-01 12:31

    Go to http://thecdltest.com

  2. #2Deere96702008-04-01 12:52

    WOW!!! Thank you very much, this is by far the most helpful practice test I have seen so far!! Keep the sugestions coming guys:drinkup

  3. #3Deere96702008-04-01 19:21

    Ok so I just got back from the dmv and passed the general test but failed the combination vehicles test so I gotta go back tommorow to take that test again along with the air brakes test which I am confident about. Heres a funny story though..... While I was waiting to take my test I was wacthing out the window as an 90 year old man was trying to park his car as a part of a driving test......... Well he dident do so well.... he rammed into the concrete post twice, tearing up his car. I never laughed so hard and then to top it all off they passed the guy!!! I was so pissed. Life aint fair!!!

  4. #47AXLES2008-04-01 19:37

    Good luck in Illinois....I've heard they are really tough on the pre-trip.

  5. #5Turbo218352008-04-01 20:22

    I just did my Michigan class A, airbrake, doubles, tank, and hazmat tests today. Really not that hard, i read through the book twice, went and passed the test no problems. From what i hear, pre trip is going to be the hardest part of any cdl test. I should have a leg up on that. IUOE 324 provides two trucks at our training facility. They are also a state of Mi cdl testing facility. Im calling them tomorrow to see if i can set up a day or two with out instructor. Mostly so I can go through pre trip with him. Ill spend the rest of the time driving the truck around the grounds, and pacticing manuvering.

  6. #6Construct'O2008-04-01 20:49

    Easy now !!!!!!!! you don't have to be old to run into stuff you know . Some day your be old too if your lucky enough to make it there.Yeah ! Your right life isn't always fair :cool2 Theres a lot of things to remember when it comes to the pretrip part.Ask if you can use a memory card for the pretrip.Keep studying.Good luck !!!!!!:usa

  7. #7texascadillac422008-04-02 15:23

    This is a fantastic website, THANKS! I am going to get my class B CDL this Friday (also in Illinois). This will be a fantastic last minute test to go through before I do the real deal. The pre-trip inspection is all I am really worried about. Thanks again for the link

  8. #8Deere96702008-04-02 20:08

    Man you got it made not having to go through the combinition vehicles test! And for anyone else out there I found this one too www.roadwars.com

  9. #9texascadillac422008-04-02 21:02

    Im "cheating" and taking the test twice. I really just need a Class A to drive my 1 ton pickup with a gooseneck, but since it has no airbrakes I would be rather limited with that CDL. I dont have any real time behind the wheel of a tractor trailer so my plan is to take the test twice. Once with a straight truck with air brakes, and then with my truck and trailer, giving me a Class A with air brakes. More money, but easier for me. Thanks for the other link...

  10. #10ASPHALT042008-04-02 21:30

    It's been about 17yrs since I got my CDL in PA, but yes if nothing else Ace the Pre-trip. They were pretty particular on it then because it was the transition period from getting grandfathered in and the test as we now know it. Anyone who has gotten a CDL recently that I know of said they were tough on the pre-trip. When I moved from PA to IL a CDL was non transferable and I had to take the written portion all over again. Not to mention the guy at the counter screwed mine up and I lost my Hazardous and Tank endorsements. (Didn't really need them anymore away) It sucked taking the written test again but was not as bad as if I would have had to do the driving test again. When I moved to WI they just transfered it, no questions asked, just had to provide a current Med card. Good luck to all!!

  11. #11Deere96702008-04-02 22:22

    Does anyone know if in Illinois you can use a note card for the pre-trip?

  12. #12texascadillac422008-04-02 23:00

    I am not going to take one with me, but will be able to tell you on Friday, my road test is scheduled for 2:30.

  13. #13dirt digger2008-04-03 15:00

    i lucked out...when i got my A it was the instructors first time ever giving a big truck test...he normally did the car testing but just passed his tests so he was the truck guy now...easy as pie for me

  14. #14dirt digger2008-04-03 15:03

    you don't need a note card...just start in the cab, make sure oil comes up, horns, triangles, and fuses...then step out, make sure you take the keys and show the instructor the door properly latches...then start walking around, stick you head in the wheel wells, check for broken parts...and don't forget about the airbrake test i was really nervous for my test as well...i took mine about 3 months ago...once you get there they know you're nervous and they will tell you to relax...then just do what seems to make sense...you can take as much time as you need

  15. #15Mr. D2008-04-03 15:16

    Wow really? Here in Ohio we have a time limit on pre-trip and maneuvers.

  16. #16dirt digger2008-04-03 17:10

    well put it this way...here in PA i never once read a single thing about time limits...i was told by a guy they want you to keep the pre-trip to 30 minutes or less but i never verified it....i think all in all my pretrip took 10 minutes, 1 try at parallel parking, 1 try doing the pull up/back up exercise...so from the time i started to the time the actual road test began was around 35 minutes, and most of that was the guy reading off the sheet to me telling me what to do...overall my test took 1 hour including road driving

  17. #17Gmads2008-04-04 00:03

    What exactly is a med card/certificate? Is it just a record of a recent physical or is it an actual standardized form or card?

  18. #18Steve Frazier2008-04-04 06:03

    It's a standardized card issued by the ICC that must be signed by your Doctor. It certifies that you've successfully completed a medical physical that meets or exceeds their specifications. Not all Doctors are familiar with the requirements, so you must find one that knows what is required.

  19. #19bear2008-04-04 06:27

    The most important thing anyone will tell you including the grader is to relax. i don't know about time limits but they may be out there. Like Mr. Frazier said in a nut shell be organized and make your pre trip routine. develop a system from your routine and you'll have it down pat in no time. When i tool my test i started with the exterior and moved into the interior then while in the cab did the air leak down test. If at any time you remember something you have forgotten tell the tester and ask him if you need to show that part to him. if he needs to see the part (some states actually require you to check everything as you do the thing some don't) if he does return to that area after you have finished everywhere else. Hope this helps it's been a few years since i took mine and may be forgetting some of the strategies i used. stay relaxed they aren't there to give you a ticket or give a cavity search!

  20. #20dirt digger2008-04-04 15:34

    a med card is basically saying you are fit to drive...to bad not everyone on the road has to have one. all they do is check your reflexes, vision, and perifial vision...which reminds me i need to get mine renewed before June you have to carry the card with you at all times...its a little piece of paper about 2"x3" that i just fold up and stick in one of the credit card holders in my wallet

  21. #21Wrode2008-04-04 17:10

    Anyone know if you had a CDL and failed the renewal written test in IL,does your CDL become suspended right then till you take the test and pass? I had to take mine ater driving for 25 yrs,due to getting a speeding ticket in my car 4 years ago. Took the test and failed the airbrakes part. Was mad to took it 3 times right in a row,Yes stupid i know,so have to wait 30 days now. Since i failed and have to wait my boss fired me,job i had 25 yrs,and union says they had just cause to fire me. But since i always had a valid CDL i want to know does it immediately become void from failing the written test. Need something here to fight to get my job back. The state took my $60 right then and there for new license,didnt say oh you can pay when you pass it

  22. #22dirt digger2008-04-04 17:25

    i always thought that once you had your CDL you always had it and the only thing you need to re-new is the HazMat endorsement i have no knowledge of the inner workings of the DOT so i'm curious on this one too

  23. #23Wrode2008-04-04 21:09

    My understanding is since our nice ex Govenor of IL made all that money off the fake CDL's now we pay for it. It you get any kind of ticket during the time between renewing your license,so every 4 years,you have to take the CDL test. The ticket can be in your car,dont have to be just your truck. I havent had to take the test in 23 years,so no i wasnt prepared. Not to mention i got the ticket 3 years ago in NC,in my car going to family event,paid it,was told wouldnt even show on my record. Then i get in to renew my license and im hit with the fact i have to take the written CDL test,didnt effect my reg license at all. But now ive lost my job cause of it. And only 2 years left to get my pention,which i will lose if i dont do something here. I need to find something showing just cause i failed the CDL test,i get like a grace period,till i take again,which i did and passed finally

  24. #24Komatsu 1502008-04-05 22:12

    It isn't just getting a ticket in Illinois. If you are involved in an accident - REGARDLESS OF FAULT - you have to take all the written tests. One of my drivers was sitting at a red light behind a car. There was another car behind him. A young girl in an old blazer rear ended the car behind him and pushed it under our trailer. He had to take all the tests and since he had almost everything including hazmat, schoolbus etc., he blew a whole day away. It just makes no sense.

  25. #25Wrode2008-04-05 22:24

    A accident that is not your fault shouldnt even be put on your driving record. Had no idea they are pulling this on drivers too. Seems they stick it to us anyway they can. I had forgot i even got the ticket in NC while on a family vacation. So wasnt prepared to take the written test,and renewl notice for reg license never mentioned it. Will take fault in failing 3 times in one day,i was so mad,fuming,couldnt think right.so ego got the best of me. I passed all but air brakes. They give you 30 days to retake,but should then be a grace period on weather you can drive. I agree with you none of this makes sense. The accident one really dont make sense.

  26. #26Deere96702008-04-05 23:24

    Ya, I hear you Illinois sucks! Does anybody know you need to obtain a cdl if you plan to drive a semi on a farm that has farm plates? Also do you have to be 21 or older?

  27. #27RollOver Pete2008-04-06 00:32

    And with a CDL, you can kiss any thought of ever going to traffic school good by. Any ticket you get from now on will affect your license in a much more negative way than before your CDL. It makes no difference what you drive or what state you drive in. The points will add up, your insurance rates will be affected, and after 2 or 3 violations you could loose your driving privileges. I think it's a bunch of crap how they single out a person who depends on his CDL to make an honest living. It's more like discrimination. I dont like the idea of worrying about taking a pee test. I dont like having to spent $ 50-80.00 every two years so some DR. can fondle my sac while I cough. And then there is the background check that those of us who are still stupid enough to keep a haz mat endorsement have to pay for. Funny...I can haul bombs, poison, radio active crap, anything except people. But I'll go to jail if I get caught with a firearm. What a waste of money the background check is.... Like its posta make me a better, safer, less violent law abiding citizen?

  28. #28P Backus2008-04-06 13:33

    I just passed my WI Class A CDL with air brakes and tank endorsements. I had very litle trouble with the written test- passed all okay, and the pre-trip was no problem either. In WI we can use a cheat sheet that basically lists the pre-trip things to check, so it was no problem. However, I failed the first driving test, mainly because I didn't keep both hands on the wheel when turning corners, and I didn't stop far enough back at stop signs. As far as handling the vehicle, I did fine because in WI you can drive farm trucks without a CDL, so I've been driving for some years already. Had someone taken some time to go with me beforehand, they could have pointed out what things I needed to watch for and improve. The tester (third party) was fair enough, but I had to go back a week later and pay $85 again to retake it. Dealing with any government bureacracy seems to be the surest way to raise my blood pressure! The whole process just pissed me off. I needed someone to go through what to expect and what is required and that you need to have your med card with you at all times, etc. Maybe you guys all know these things, but I had to learn by making repeated trips to the DMV (wait in line again....). One time he voided my med card because neither the doc or I knew what date to put down for an expiration date, so we left just that line blank thinking that the DMV would tell us when it expired. There was nothing in the manual (read it twice) or anywhere else that explained that sort of thing. So, a trip back to the doc and then back to the DMV... :Banghead:guns:soapbox Grrr... I understand the need to keep commercial vehices and drivers safe, but it sure wasn't the most fun time of my life! Paul

  29. #29dirt digger2008-04-06 16:33

    rollover i agree 100%...it doesn't make sense to penalize the people that are more "qualified" to be on the road then 80% of the other drivers out there

  30. #30Wrode2008-04-06 18:51

    Im not even a over the road driver anymore,I'm a garbage man, Ha ha. I got tired of the over the road stuff. They nailed you way more,seemed some states just layed for you. I've hauled from shampoo to cows. I think thats why I'm more frustrated,should of knowen everything on that written test. Then i woudnt be in this mess,and now wondering how im going to feed my family.

  31. #31bushcat2008-04-06 20:04

    Very Well Said ROP.

  32. #32Turbo218352008-04-06 21:36

    I agree with you ROP. Im in the middle of this process. I have to fill out the forms online tonight, pay them money to do the backround check. Then i have to be at the flying hook here in town tomorrow so they can take my finger prints. Mondays, from 10-2 every other week, what a pain in the ass. Have to go to the union hall tomorrow to talk to our cdl tester so i can see what i need to do for my pre trip. Ive never had to pre trip a truck. Ive driven them around closed road job sites, and around yards, so i dont think i have a problem with the rest of the test. Best part about doing it through the union, my first road test is free. Yea right, all those dues they take out of my pay checks, i better be getting something

  33. #33P Backus2008-04-06 22:22

    Like I kinda said before, don't think that you will ace the driving part of the test just because you are used to driving a truck. Maybe you are all smarter than I am, but I've been driving for a few years and they failed me on things like having one hand on the shifter when turning corners, and not stopping behind the big white line at a stop sign. I can handle the vehicle just fine, but you have to dot all your 'i's and cross all your 't's. "Check both mirrors after completing a turn.":Banghead Paul

  34. #34dirt digger2008-04-06 23:37

    yup...never shift through an intersection either...and if you shift gears going over rail roads tracks you might as well turn around and go back to the DMV...it can get pretty ridiculous

  35. #35Countryboy2008-04-07 01:54

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Wrode! :drinkup