Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Imp??

CAT_966_C ยท 2008-05-12 21:09

Okay, so I had a customer call today on an Ingersoll-Rand SP42 that I have for sale. He asked me what the applied force was for the drum and I told him 21,200 lb./imp. Next question... what does IMP stand for. I felt a little silly that I couln't give him an answer and told him that I wouldn't sleep until I found out. Anyone have and ideas? Is it 3 words or does it just simply stand for Imperial? Keep Rockin' This is me right about now .... v:Banghead

Replies5
  1. #1PipeGuy2008-05-12 21:44

    Isn't it Impacts per min

  2. #2Northart2008-05-12 23:47

    Imp ? Hello Cat966C, Caterpillar calls Frequency, VPM or vibrations per minute. As in 1800 vpm. The Centrifugal Force or "applied force" has a Max and min ratings, in lbs as in 74,600 lbs or 37,300 lbs. The use of High Amplitude or Low Amplitude determines the amount of Centrifugal Force. I see nothing that relates to your lbs/imp rating.

  3. #3Twisted2008-05-13 07:51

    Would it be pounds per impact???? :beatsme

  4. #4CAT_966_C2008-05-13 08:56

    I thought Impacts Per Minute as well. But then that would be IPM. It's most likely just IMPACT. Thanks guys!

  5. #5Squizzy246B2008-05-13 09:18

    Down Under, it is common practice, when something is stated in imperial units(British system....feet, inches, pounds etc) for the suffix "imp" to be added. I would read your spec then to be 21,200 imperial pounds "lbs"...but thats just me take on it.