Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

impact guns

RJ55 ยท 2011-04-09 23:43

looking to buy a 1 inch drive impact gun,will probably spend 500 to 700 bucks. can anyone give me any ideas on which gun would be the best. so far the two places i checked can only tell me the price of the gun. i know there are 2 or 3 different drive systems on the guns but can find no information about which is the best. I have a 3/4 ingersolrand that i am not impressed with.I use a 185 ingersolrand air compressor with a 3/4 inch hose so i have plenty of air. thanks for any help

Replies15
  1. #1Lee-online2011-04-10 00:03

    We have two IR 1" impacts in our tool room. Different models but both work ok. We do have our air set at 120psi though. I have snapon and blue point impacts and snapon are the best there are. $1500 for the snapon 1" gun is a little pricey where the IR would be almost as good for 1/3 the cost. We have air torques so most of the time i just grab one of those. lighter, quieter and guaranteed to remove the bolt.

  2. #2jeff1122011-04-10 00:19

    I have a 1" cp that is ok, at work we have a snap-on that is nice ,work air pressure is 125 psi, my pressure Is 150 psi . The snap is stronger even with lower pressure. The funny thing is I have this old grizzly 1" gun that is new I picked up at a auction,it has a 6",extension on it,I was trying to remove a cylinder nut with a 1"1/8 socket the cp would not even touch it, that off brand grizzly spun it off like nothing,i was supprized and impressed I looked at the torque spec in the book it said to torque to 2200lb.

  3. #3willie592011-04-10 00:37

    My choice, CP 796. Not fond of IR impact guns.

  4. #4rare ss2011-04-10 06:22

    the new snapon guns are the best IMO, the MG725 (1/2") is just as good as the IR 3/4 drive if not better in low airflow compressor systems, the MG1200 is a weapon

  5. #5jeff1122011-04-10 10:24

    Correction the socket was 3"1/8 not 1"1/8 I don't think 1"1/8 would fit on the gun.

  6. #6Lee-online2011-04-10 10:42

    I have the mg725 and it is almost as good as my 3/4 bluepoint. The mg325 get used the most, easy to hold and get into tight places with the long whip hose. The 3/8 and 1/2 guns are our bread and butter guns that we use daily. the 1" gun is one we need occasionally but when we need it, we really need it.

  7. #7Lee-online2011-04-10 10:47

    1"1/8 is a common socket we use on the 1"gun. We use it for track shoes. You can use smaller socket with an adapter. Just make sure its a snap-on so you can replace it when it breaks.

  8. #8koldsteele2011-04-10 10:49

    My weapon of choice in 1/2 inch is IR 244 ....they are heavy but they will sit and hammer all day long ...In 1 inch i own IR long shank and short nose ... Something Lee said is important ..I run 175 psi on my truck and in the shop ..It makes a big difference..

  9. #91080 bobcat2011-04-10 19:24

    I run IR 2135 ti 1/2 inch & 2115 ti 3/8 inch also 265 IR 3/4 inch and a 295 IR 1 inch I like my smaller guns because they are composite not heavy to use i still got my old IR 231&244 for back up

  10. #10Water Doc2011-04-10 21:35

    I run all IR composites 3/8" 1/2" and 3/4". Never had an issue with any of them. In fact my 1/2" gun was one of the first composite guns made and it still pulls like the day it was new. I always have run high pressure 150-175psi. When i was at con expo, i saw a place selling impact guns that had a torque multiplier built into them. I don't recall the name but i will see if i can dig up the brochure. They had a 1" gun sized like a composite 1/2" that was putting out something like 2500ftlbs.

  11. #11Lee-online2011-04-10 22:32

    These are not impacts but torque wrenches. www.powerprod.com/PneumaticTorqueWrenches.htm A certain psi equals a certain torque. Work in both directions so they will remove or break any bolt. We have a few ranging from 1000ftlbs to 3500ftlbs but they do have bigger. If we need more, we use a hytorq hydraulic torque wrench.

  12. #123rdGenDslWrench2011-04-10 23:11

    I've got a 3/8" impact that I bought because it came with a 3/8" air ratchet for free....not bad for 70 bucks. Well I was told that the air gun wouldnt last 2 months. It was an American Rodcraft I think. Well that was 10 years ago and I havent had one problem out of it and it always usually does what I ask it to. For my 1/2" guns I've got a Snap on 6100 and a 7100. The 7100 has a lil more torque but is a lot lighter than the 6100. I had always wanted a IR 244. I remember when they first came out all the older guys in my shop got them but I couldnt afford one at the time and all I had was a little old IR 231 ( I think?? the L&R button was forward and backward instead of left and right). 3/4" guns I've always had a CP772H and it will usually get the job done. I think the hardest task for that gun to do is the counterweight bolts on 345 and up excavators and most of our cranes. My shop had 2 1" guns. One was a extended anvil IR and we used to change tires on trucks. The other was a CP 2 handed job that we called Burtha. Nothing else impressed me more though than one day I was trying to take the nut off of a cylinder rod on a 963 lift arm and I'd tried every airgun we had and it wouldnt bust loose. So about the time I got ready to take the heat wrench to the nut our Off ROad Tire man pulled into the yard and handed me a 3/4" CP776. I bet him breakfast that his new toy wouldnt cut it. Well 15 minutes later he got to sit down with a steak egg and cheese sub. That airgun zipped the nut right off like it was hand tight.

  13. #13FSERVICE2011-04-11 00:02

    my 1/2inch is a Mac i have taken out bolts that snapon wouldnt my 3/4 is a CP 796 i just purchased a Mac AW272 i like it so far

  14. #14smittysrepair2011-04-11 00:15

    Have any of you guys tried the NitroCat air guns made by AirCat? I have used and still do use several of them from 3/8'' to 3/4'' with no problems. I am just curious if anyone else has used them and if so how theirs are holding up? I own several other brands from CP to IR and everything in between including the NitroCat stuff and Snap-on, so this discussion has been exciting to follow and hear about what everyone else thinks. Smitty

  15. #15rare ss2011-04-11 07:02

    yeh, generally speaking it it wont undo with an 3/4" drive we just get the RAD32 gun out.. its good for 3500ftlb so it does the job no matter what! alot quicker than a 1" rattle gun too