It used to be, one of the differences between men and apes was that men use tools. Then some scientist found some apes using tools they'd made. Now they say the difference is- men save the tools they make for the next time they do the job. Show us those tools you made to save the time and money. C'mon, you know where they're at.
Alrighty then, I'll start. Dodge Ram common rail Cummins "Injector popper outer". 1+1/2" thin wall box tubing. 6" long cut lengthwise leaving 1/4" on the sides. 1" half-hole on one end. The circle fits in the groove where the factory 'special' tool grabs on. It lays flat on the exhaust valves. This really helps on the back two- under the dash. Works sweet. (didn't have a pic)
I think ATCO has started a similar thread in regards to specialized shop tools.
Yeah Hendrik, I saw that but it think it was for tools like the hollow ram or things like torque multipliers- stuff a lot guy's don't have around the shop but would like to have. I was thinking homemade tools.
Yep, that's right rob, more about specialty tools, not your everyday stuff. I do have a home made cylinder gland removal tool I've had for some time, just can't remember to take a pic of it when I get to work. :tong
Heck yeah, get that pic up Atco. Until then, This thread just wouldn't be right without Atco's world famous "Suck Bucket"
LoL!
I would love to see it. I hate using a hammer and chisel cause it dings up the gland.
A hammer and a chisel? Say it ain't so. The gland tool I made is for glands that require a spanner with pins, many other type of glands out there that require different methods for removal. But hammer and chisel would be something I'd avoid hotsaw.
Please post that tool, Atco. I own 2 different kinds of factory tools for that, and they both suck, (but with no bucket). I have a cabinet full of home made tools, everything from wheel nut sockets to Cat injector pullers. I will try hard to remember to take some pics.
Yea how do you keep the spanner pins from jumping out under pressure. I hate them kind. John Deere with their metal ring ain't much better.
Here's my Bobcat cylinder spanner wrench Rob. I made one of same design some years ago out of 1/4" x 3/8" flat bar, but it wasn't rigid enough. On this one, went with 1/2" x 1" flat bar, seems to be holding up well. It will adjust from small to large diameter glands that require a 1/4" spanner pin. If I have a need of one that requires 3/8" spanner pins, there's room for me to drill new (3/8") hole next to the existing 1/4" pin holes. The pins are simply 1/4" grade 8 bolts, threads cut off, just clean bolt shoulder being used as pins. Bolt heads are tack welded to opposite side. If pins get damaged or worn, I simply grind the welded bolt heads off, knock the pins out, and fit new ones.
Here's a Bobcat cylinder with the spanner holes. Simply fit the spanner to the holes, then lock the pivot nut down tight. That way, when you remove the spanner wrench to get the next rotation, the spanner adjustment doesn't change and it will drop right back in the holes.
Looks good Atco, think I'll make one before my next Case cylinder repacking, unless, you being THE HEF Bobcat Guru, and no. 1 Bobcat fan, would object to your design being used on another make. Seriously, that looks better than either of my factory-made tools.
LoL, by all means mitch...have at it.
Here's another very simple but very useful tool for removing and installing spark plugs in hard to get to or recessed areas. I know, they make "rubber things" that fit into spark plug sockets to grip the plugs, but I hate using those things, I yanked them out of my plug sockets years ago, this method just works so much better. It's simply a short piece of 1/4" ID hose. Find a 1/4" bolt that is about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter than the piece of hose, and put a small zip tie on one end of the hose, cinch the zip tie enough for hose to get a good grip on the head of a spark plug and nip off the excess zip tie. Slip the 1/4" bolt into the end of the hose opposite zip tie. The bolt will keep the hose rigid and straight.
Here's a recessed plug on a Suzuki mini truck. Break the plug loose with plug socket until it turns freely. Remove plug socket, slip removal/install tool into hole and place it right on the plug head, give a firm push to set tool onto plug head. Simply twist the tool and remove plug. Works just as well installing the plug.
That spanner wrench is slick Atco. Nicely done. Your spark plug tool- I've made the exact same tool. But I use it (minus the bolt) for removing/installing valve stem caps on inside duals.
I am going to try that hose to remove the valve stem caps. When you have a paw the size of mine it is a real pain. I have to about lube my hand to get it in there and trying to get it back out with the cap can be another story.
I just started installing the fill through valve stem caps on all my dual wheels. I actually bought a special tool for $6 a while back for installing the valve stem caps. It works a little better than the Ye old fuel line but when times were good you could pizz money away on stupid things all the time and not really care. The fuel hose also works teets for glowplugs.
gloves, lol
Needed something to remove an engine oil pressure switch. Came up with this: They probably sell something like it but I didn't have time to look for one.
Yep, they sell those Rob. But, nevertheless, you got it spot on bro.
I suppose a 12pt crowsfoot might work but I don't have any of those either...