I recently bought an IMT 2020 crane and outriggers to mount to my Stahl crane body. However i need to cut the old bumper off and build a workbench bumper with the outriggers and mount to the truck, I am looking for some ideas, and should the bumper be welded or bolted to the body? The crane and outriggers came off a flatbed mount so they have no bumper incorporated now. Also need to plumb the cabinit for out rigger controls, Hydraulic out and down, looking for some layouts of that cabinit under the crane with electric and hydraulic controls. The chassis is an 03 F550 with a 7.3 6spd and XLT, had the truck for almost 10 years, very exited to get the crane up and running any help would be appreciated.
I have a 2020 and I have two hand crank bull dog adjustable jacks. Both are rated at 5000lbs and the max on the crane is 5000lbs. Mine is set up like this. Our larger trucks have the stabilizers. You will have to have a dual control valve. Do you already have a pto hydraulic pump?
Just mounted pump and Pto and the out riggers came with valve bank, and crane is mounted. I had a dominator years ago working for the dealer and an autocrane body with a large fleet in Colorado years ago before becoming independent. But never paid much attention to how outriggers where attached to the body. I figure I should attach to the supports, and looking at Tom V workbench bumper have a direction,
the outriggers should be attached to the frame work of the truck to prevent twisting the frame, by the pic you posted the square box is where the outriggers are probably supposed to go.
I would mount to frame just behind the body, then tie into the body as far out on the outriggers as you can. You want the crane cabinet to be tied to the outriggers if possible, is the body reinforced for a crane?
Yes it is a stahl crane body, and the framework in the cabinet is tied to the crane mount. My plan was to build some rugged tabs on the outriggers and bolt it to the service body frame. I have Google searched some pictures but very few bumper pics, was hoping to get a couple guys workbench bumper pics, and what they like and don't like, I have got some plan looking around here. Tom V has a nice vise setup, hatchet has battery jumper system, most have a side access cabinet, thought of that or a top access, looking for ideas. Also most trucks the outrigger and crane controls are in 1 cabinet under crane looking for how that is laid out, and how the outrigger hoses come into the body. (bulkhead fittings or just a big hole)
Ever get her figured out? I snapped a couple pics of mine. Each outrigger line has it's own bulkhead fitting thru the wall.
Thank you, much help, your outriggers must be welded directly to the body, I think I am going build a bracket and bumper and bolt it to the body so I can tie into the body frame in good shape, Your tag says western Washington, I am originally from Port Angeles
Pretty area up there around PA. I used to work in Sequim from timr to time when our resident tech got real busy. I'm just outside Tacoma. Yeah she's welded pretty solid. The tube with the extend cyl. is fully welded to the bumper/work bench. There are also vertical plates that go up on either side of the air tank that tie the whole mess into the frame rails.
I have an IMT Dominator bed with the hydraulic O/R's. If you still need pics, I could take a couple tomorrow and post them to give you another perspective.
That would be great.
Will do.