After studying this site of pros that know what is best, I am leaning towards an older 977L hopefully in great shape for my job at hand, (1500 acres of Cedars). My first choice was an older D9H which the mechanic called me yesterday and said it had major engine problems, cylinder blowing air, because of sitting so long he thought. Going to pull cylinder and redo that piston, rod, etc. I passed on it since he was not ordered to do the whole engine. So, I am not a flipper just jumping around, I am convinced the 977L may be the best for my project with my excavator which I have been using but need faster machine to go with the excavator to cover more ground faster. Thanks Honky Cat
A 977 is a great machine. That being said, if you are looking for speed i would look for a 953 or 963. They are quite a bit more nimble and faster than a 977. I have a soft spot for 977's and in actually in the process of buying another one for building terraces. They are a good machine for tree removal but it wouldn't be my first choice on a 1500 acre job.
So which is the better? The 953 or 963? Which is stouter? I know nothing about them? I do not want to end up with a bobcat on steroids. I need muscle. Thanks Honky Cat
So which is the better? The 953 or 963? Which is stouter? I know nothing about them? I do not want to end up with a bobcat on steroids. I need muscle. It will have to do other things other than cedars. Please reply. Thanks Honky Cat
I'd use a masticator
masticator noun One who or that which masticates or chews. An attachment to a feed-cutter. It crushes, shreds, and mixes hay, corn, or other material cut in the feed-cutter, and is designed to render the feed more digestible and palatable. One who masticates. Seriously, Icehole what does the above have to do with taking out cedars by the root ball? Heck next post will be take a ton of tnt out there and place it every 20 feet and BaaM!’ Debris all over like a war zone. I am serious about my reply’s and in need of help(or wouldn’t be on here). Are you serious? Confused Honky Cat
Take 10 seconds and Google it. I don't need rude PMs for legit suggestions on how to clear 1500 acres. MOD EDIT - Personal insults are not tolerated here on HEF.
That reply about masticator was copied and pasted directly from Google. Seems we are way ahead of you on this one. LOL
Here, Let Me Google That For You Passive-aggressively teach your friends how to Google. For all those people who find it more convenient to ask you rather than search it themselves. Not associated with Google. googlethatforyou.com
I'd vote for a 953. What you are doing is relatively light work and you'll just be burning a lot of extra fuel with a 977 or even 963.
Thank you for the information. I agree that I would like a smaller fuel bill, unfortunately, these high, overpriced fuel prices are pure Communists gouging the American Worker. They will come down, but when? Thanks for the 953 info. Do you know of any? Thanks Honky Cat
Some larger trees plucked with the 240XL.
So somewhere I read your were going with a d9. Then a 977l. You will be lucky to clear an acre a day with a 953. Unless someone else is pre digging the larger trees with your excavator. I read that you cleared 750 acres with the excavator? How long did that take? Do you own a low boy or how about a dump truck and tag trailer. Do you want to move the machines around yourself? Get the biggest one you can afford and deal with. I need to move mine with a tag so a 963 is a hair big but if I was using a low boy then that's what I would have. As far as getting a 953 any will work more than likely the price differences are in the under carraige. I bought one with 14000 hours on it and I have used it and used it and used it. What do you do with the land once it is stripped? I have seen a few d9s working and they are awesome.
Thanks for your reply Georgia Iron! To answer your questions yes I own a 35 ton RGN mechanical Detatch. 29 foot well tandem axle. I am getting another single axle that snaps on the back giving me another 25,000. I bought a 2004 Peterbilt 379 ex. Hood Daycab with a fresh rebuilt 3406 C-15 550 Cat engine with a 18 speed. It is sweet with 280 in WB and tandems. I wish it had the 3rd axle but no cigar. On my cedar removal it did not take that long at all. I had 2 heart surgery’s last year one was a quintriplet bypass and I feel better now than when I was20. I am 67. The cedar removal was eating me up before I got fixed. I couldn’t go but 4 go 6 hours at a time and still covered the sparse covered trees first. Now I am into the “Forest” parts and man the excavator just can’t go like it did when I was in a less strenuous position patch. I would say that in 4 months out of 12 I got the first, lightest trees out of the way. Which isn’t that good by anybody’s standards, but I was almost dead, no energy, had to take naps in the cab, don’t tell my wife. Just completely rung me out. Now, a different story. I have listened to all the knowledge on here and am back on the D9H. I am sure that I can learn the blade quick enough to not shear the trees off and get them by the roots as my excavator does. Remember, we have no trees in Western Oklahoma like you are used to in Georgia. Mainly prairie Sandhills and Cedars and Shennery with little or no grass on this part of my ranch. When finished with the cedars then we will find a deep plow and completely kill the Shennery and sage and plant back native buffalo grass which in on other parts of the ranch and been growing there since our land was called Indian Territory before Oklahoma became a state. My Family has owned this ranch for 170+ years and I want to make it 100% useful for Cattle again. We have a good start on it as we do this every day now that I am healthy again Getting my D9 here and then things will transpire more quickly. I just cannot see how the bucket rigs can do as much as the D9? I am fixing to find out! Thanks again Georgia Iron and thanks for the information! Honky Cat
That sounds like an exciting adventure. Be sure to post up some pictures of the new machine once you get it home. Neat to have family land like that. So many people dont have that. I hope the D9 works out for you. If you need a hand running it, we can travel like the Griswolds (family vacation). You might as well get a 500 gallon diesel tank if you dont have it. Loaders have advantages they can carry material. It is an all in one clearing, grubbing, and piling machine. I would think the d9 could strip the ground much faster that a 963. As far as getting ready to burn not so sure. The extra fuel expense and all will just save you time so that you can do other things, it sounds like you will be busy for a few years.
I am leaning toward a Sosbees rake and tree stabber that makes it safer than safe. Plus you pick up on blade once stabbed and move forward bringing the tap roots and tree up which up is a tree’s weakest point then lay her over then let the rake take her far as you want without dirt like a lot of blades cannot do without rakes. The dozer is not bad on fuel. The previous owner ran it very little per month and said he had to fill er up(250 gallons every other month. Heck my workload just idleing it around wont be bad. Especially for the work she will produce. Working for the public after my home place is done will pay for the learning and trials and tribulations I have gone through and be a not bad situation. I have been pricing my excavator, dozer( which I do not have yet) my Rome 40”disc Deep plow, my Chopper, my truck and trailer and did I mention my time? $1500 per acre cleared, not mulched, not burned, but Clean Cleared Dirt with no regrowth for a while. They have not batted an eye when I price what it takes to get us to their place. Kinda Scary::::: Thanks Georgia Iron! Honky Cat