Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

In need of a welding machine

newguy2k3 ยท 2015-06-20 00:06

New service truck didn't have a welder on it but it's starting to become a hindrance, so we're looking now. I need to do general repairs on heavy equipment and some fabrication here and there. It needs to be able to run 5/32" 7018, Arc gouge on occasion, and probably run a line boring setup one day also. I was initially thinking a Bobcat 250 would work out fine then my dad mentioned that since he went to a Trailblazer he'll never go back to a 2 pole machine. So now I'm looking into the Trailblazer 275 and 325. I've seen one of the newer Trailblazers that only runs as fast as it needs to for the load, very nice, and I'm surprised that they are both 40-50lbs lighter than the Bobcat which would be nice since it's going on top of the left sidepack on the truck. The 325 is listed as capable of running a 1/4" gouging rod. Is there a substantial change in performance from a 3/16"? The more I think about it a 4 pole like the Trailblazer would probably be almost required to run a line bore setup well? Thoughts?

Replies4
  1. #1Twisted2015-06-20 08:23

    I think you answered your own question. A 325 TB would look great on your rig.

  2. #2pburress2015-06-20 08:50

    Agree

  3. #3lantraxco2015-06-20 13:44

    You will never regret getting too much machine in this case, if you can swing it, get the Trailblazer.

  4. #4Drifter2015-06-20 22:38

    Go with the 325 TB the 250 is the bare minimum for arc gouging.