Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanics & Power Tools

nickbowers · 2015-06-21 21:03

Hi All, Just trying to gauge interest in power tools around the world I cant work without my cordless impact guns, other tools dont need to be cordless as much but they are a huge bonus. The three rattle guns i use constantly are http://www.truckblog.com.au/tools/milwaukee-m18chiwf34-¾-impact-wrench/ http://www.truckblog.com.au/tools/milwaukee-m18-fuel-ciw12-½-impact-wrench/ http://www.truckblog.com.au/tools/milwaukee-m12-fuel-½-ciw12-impact-wrench/ Over here in Australia it seems most mechanics i visit they are still using hand tools. I can do the same job in half the time by using cordless tools (which is half the problem i suppose because they are on hourly rate) I havnt kept the truckblog site up to date lately but i have heaps more power tools that make work so much easier. So what do people around the world do? Cheers, Nick

Replies13
  1. #1Jonas3022015-06-21 22:37

    Power tools whenever possible cordless for little jobs and air or electric in the shop or for bigger jobs

  2. #2wornout wrench2015-06-22 01:11

    Pretty much the same as Jonas302 I have found that the life span of the cordless make them not worth using on a regular basis. I run all Milwaukee, so far I have had to replace my 1/2 and 3/8 impacts and multiple batteries, drill and grinder still working fine. They don't like a wet environment and well it rains on the westcost of Canada so they have to stay inside and nice and dry or it is over. Next time that one quits, it is getting recycles and not replaced. I will stick to air powered for work.

  3. #3repowerguy2015-06-22 18:29

    I use a cordless drill and a cordless grinder for light work, other than that it has a air hose or a extension cord attached to it!

  4. #4fixou8122015-06-22 18:49

    PVC ? Pipe cutter Probably good for other types of pipe too, like irrigation.

  5. #5Old Doug2015-06-22 21:04

    I have a cordless sawzall and the cheapest cordless drill that walmart sells. I use the sawzall alot but like Wornout said i dont think cordless are a very good for what they cost and the life span of the batteries. When i need a impact or a drill i dont mind the cord because i am going to need alot of power for a long time. When i was a carpenter we had a big deck to build. I got my drill and cord out while every one else got out cordless drills. It went along ok until we started puting down the floor. It was clear to see my drill was the way to go so some one went ahead of me starting screws for me to run down. I can see were they shine and if i saw i could make them pay off i would buy some but for no oftener than i would use them right now i cant see spending the money.

  6. #6DARO2015-06-22 23:09

    I'm a air tool guy. I do have dewalt cordless. Impacts, drill, grinder. But only really use them for quicky things. I carry a corded drill ,grinder,sawzall, and porta band. The cordless 1/4 drive impact is perfect for interior work dashes steer columns. I do have to buy a couple of batteries a year. The winter work is hard on them.

  7. #7Queenslander2015-06-23 03:43

    I particularly like my Makita cordless angle grinder and those super thin cutting discs. Forget the last time I used a hacksaw.

  8. #8Mobiltech2015-06-23 08:15

    I do a lot of field work and I won't use anything but cordless tools. If you count the time need to roll out hoses and clean them up after dragging them thru the dirt plus the fuel for your compressor and compressor wear the price of batteries becomes pretty cheap.

  9. #9nickbowers2015-06-23 22:25

    Milwaukee just released the 9amp battery which will be a game changer

  10. #10Volvomad2015-07-01 17:01

    I am with repower guy on this . A cordless drill only . Not always good for disassembly but I bolt almost every thing back together with it . Engine bearings,sumps heads ,manifolds and anything with sealant you don't want to squash out by over squeezing to soon . But then I am as odd as 2 left shoes

  11. #11nowing752015-07-08 20:50

    Love my millwalkee 1/2 impact. As good as my ir air.

  12. #12Dualie2015-07-10 18:27

    the latest generation of li-on batteries make them much more viable. the previous generation ni-cad tools wernt for any serious work. Every time i break it out my makita impact drivers always impress me. I was driving 125+ 3 1/2" Simpson 5/16" SDS screws on a single charge with the 5.0Ah batterys.

  13. #13caterpillarmech2015-07-11 05:49

    I would like to buy cordless but, I already have a huge investment in air. The company provides the truck/ air so I don't see the point of buy double the tools for the same job i'm paid hourly for. Faster tools=less money. More money spent on cordless=less money. I'm no slouch, I can swing wrenches with the best of them in half the time it takes most. I have every tool under the sun so I can get all of my jobs done without coming back with more tooling.