Hello. My Dad bought this D6 back in the late 90's. I'm not 100% on the year of this model. This did not come with a manual and the hand-written instructions were poorly written. I'm worried that if I try and start this that the machine will take off into a building no more than 15 ft in front. I'm not sure if the levers are all in their neutral positions. I was hoping that someone who is reading this could direct me to a well explained startup procedure with images. Thank You very much.
I'm just going to ask, what will you do when you get it running? It is not going to be a piece of cake to get running. There is no chance it will fire off and suddenly lurch through the building, but if you don't know what you are doing with all those levers and pedals, you could manage just that. That 3rd picture has the pony motor in it. It is electric start for the pony. It will need some fresh gas if it has been a while, and some fresh batteries.
Starting procedure. Gearbox in neutral, clutch engaged. Decompression lever in Decompression position, throttle fully closed. Start pony motor and allow to worm Engage Pony with main engine and allow it run, 5 minutes or longer if in cold ambient temps. Move decompression lever to compression. Open throttle, the engine should fire and disengage the starter motor. Shut down Pony motor by turning off the fuel, don't switch it off. Now get to work. You my have seen videos of dummy's starting these old engines with with smoke coming out the exhaust prior to starting. This is a NO NO. I can still feel the pain of a size 10 boot in the backside for doing this and the explanation why I got it when I was 17years old.
Check YouTube. I see a number of videos that may help. Also maybe ask around your location if anyone else has experience with one? I would be best to have someone there that knows how to do it and show you in person.
There's so many things in that video that are wrong especially doing a cold start.