I spent the morning on my JD 450G Dozer pushing dirt it was running and steering fine. Then all of the sudden the right steering lever on a direct drive started acting strange. When I'm backing up if I pull the lever a little faster and harder it grabs then still works but it has always been smooth no sudden jerk. the Left is still fine very smooth. Going forward it does not do it and both sides are very even on lever through and very smooth. The machine had all new fluids and filters about 60 hours ago when I bought it. Any help would be great.
You may have brakes worn out or needing attention on one side.
We had the back cover off when I bought it and the brake lining looked like new.
Yes, but the springs and hardware could fail unexpectedly. All these parts need renewed at brake service time but many times do not get the attention needed. Something also could have been loose or maladjusted during prior maintenance. I don't know and am not suggesting anything but for a brake to present problems as you mention, attention is warranted. I've seen plenty of linings shear from their respective mounting backers and jamb causing problems such as this. The brakes will work but are not linear in application, (grab, or slip). With a service, or owner's manual start from the handle you pull and work back to the brake compartment. Ensure everything is lubed and slides easily. Basically eliminate the easy items first, then open up the brake compartment if needed for evaluation. Use a systematic approach rather than dive right into something you may not need to.
Can you get in to the brakes without taking the big plate off the back?
I know where the plugs are to adjust
Sorry, I don't know your tractor and am only speaking in general terms. Brakes grabbing or chattering is usually indicative of something worn, loose, or broken and many times require disassembly to diagnose.