This would be my first post to HEF, although I have been creeping around for quite some time reading through threads. I am currently looking for a crawler loader for some land we just bought. From my internet research, I figure the machine for me is a Cat 953 (or second choice 963). It is not so much the purchase price that worries me, but the skeletons the machine may have in its closet. I have come across a couple 953C's and my question for the board would be, is there a more desirable set of years to avoid or serial numbers? From what I can see (correct me if Im wrong) these machines are powered by a 3116 computer controlled engine with unit injectors, coupled to a gearbox that drives a left side and right side hydrostatic pump and a separate hydraulic pump for the cylinders. To drive the tracks there is a right side and left side hydrostatic motor and a final drive. In addition to the computer controlled engine, sounds like there is a bunch more electronics on the hydrostatic part of the machine. Have the electronics been giving a lot of grief or are they fairly robust? Where is everyone pulling up these trouble codes, just off the instrument panel? Is there a code reference table out there? If I test run one, how do you clear the codes to just show the active ones? Another question about the hydraulics. I have heard mention of replacing cartridges in the hydrostatic pump? Is it so out of the question for a determined individual to rebuild one of these pumps or motors or will I even be able to obtain the parts? I am hoping to pick a decent machine, but in case there are any surprises, wanted to know there are more options then hauling it to Cat. I would probably prefer an A or B model but don't see too many for sale in my neck of the woods. Sorry about the long winded post!
Welcome to the Forums Bill raspy!:drink up I have an '04 953 BBX that I bought new and it has 4200 hours on it. So far I have had to replace one engine wiring harness, a back up alarm and the back up alarm switch on the directional control. Here is a thread I started that has some information - HeavyEquipmentForums
I get called out of touch on here but experience has taught me this. Get a good 953, ideally with a 3204 engine. They will serve you well on the farm, stay away from the "C" models. Later Bob
I know your looking for an A or B but I have put a good bit of hours on a 963D and I was very impressed. The machine basically felt like it had traction control and knew when you were digging hard material. It would slow the track speed down to avoid slippage automatically when you started working the bucket in a hard pile. And as much as I hate computerized things, that impressed me. It was also a stump poppin SOB, as I worked it on several clearing jobs. One thing I hated was how rough it rode on hard ground. I used it (along with a D6) to build a road in a stone quarry....a few times I had a bloody patch on my back from the seat rubbing it raw it was so rough.
953a is ok, but not real crazy about 3204 engine, that being said my opinion cat 953b or 963a or b is a good choice the 963a has a 3304 which is an excellent engine, 3116 engine is not my favorite but would prefer over the 53 3204 engine, definitely from a mechanical experience do not recommend c models not near the machine mechanically in my opinion and break down $$$$$$ more than earlier units, the c models do make me a lot of money Mike