So I've said it before that my grandfather and I have a 1959 d4 7u with in the seat starting but the gas shutoff on the dash leaks like a b*****d we have a Jerry rigged system around it but I'd like to know where I could get a new shutoff so we can have a system that we don't have to stand up to shut off fuel to the pony motor.
Yair . . . caterpillarRy I'm Showing my ignorance here but there was in-seat starting for a D4? Fuel on throttle and choke for the pilot motor plus pinion engage/clutch and compression release for the main? . . . you gotta be kidding no? Cheers
Yeah there was. It was on some 59s for sure it had something to do with the optional oil clutch and safety. The 2 levers to make the big motor spin on the Side start ones is one pull knob on the lower left side of the dash and every thing else is on the upper right side. I'll see what I can do to get some pics next time I'm down at my grandfathers house I have looked at the serial before and it is a 7u and my grandfather had many u series d4s I guess it's kinda rare. We only heavy like 2 grand in the machine with shipping and parts cause we had to switch the head on it so this is not a big deal but it also could use some gauges cause I don't think any of them work.
Yair . . . caterpillarRy Thanks mate, I never stop learning on this site. Cheers,
Neither do I
If I remember right caterpillarRy there was also a decompressor lever on the firewall in front of the operator???
Yup upper right side
Now the fuel shutoff I have a little more trouble remember.... but wasn't it a knob you turn or was it a flip over type?
Knob I think it's not really a knob but you do turn it.
Believe it or not don't count out the Cat dealer. I've bought parts for my 1954 D2 and they had more than I would have thought. Having access to a parts manual for the unit will help. Also check out the Antique Caterpillar and ACME forums. Hope this helps! Alan