Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

In your opinon

Soldati06 · 2009-03-29 08:42

im currently 20 years old from northern california, i joined the U.S Army a year ago as a heavy equipment operator, and i have 3 years left, my question is when i get out with 4 years of experience and being out of the military how do you think my chances are of getting a job in the industry? i heard that some employers don't hire people from the military im just curious well thanks everyone! have a good day

Replies12
  1. #1td25c2009-03-29 10:02

    Sounds like your on the right track.The Army will train you well.Most employers will go off of past work experience,I would think the U.S. Millitary would be a top reference in a job interview.I dont know what the market will be 3 years from now.You might decide to make a carrier of the ARMY,at your age it might be a good way to go.

  2. #2joispoi2009-03-29 10:06

    x2 I can´t say how many operator jobs are going to be available in 3 years. I would think most employers would want to hire you.

  3. #3Buckethead2009-03-29 10:16

    I can't predict what the economy will be like in your area 3 years from now. But I think as long as you are getting time in the seat of a machine you are way ahead, career-wise, of a person who is not getting any experience. I worked with many guys over the years who learned the way you did, their skills are as good as anyone's. You might try this website http://helmetstohardhats.org/ . I don't know much about it because I'm not a veteran, but it's for recent veterans looking for civilian work in the construction trades. Hope this helps. :usa

  4. #4Soldati062009-03-29 10:37

    hey thanks all you guys i really appreciate the help especially the link thats pretyy cool!

  5. #5CM19952009-03-29 12:32

    I think you have timing on your side, in three years there should be more opportunity in the private sector than there is now. The current recession will probably last throughout '09, rebuilding in '10 and getting back to "normal" in '11. There are two National Guard members that work for me, both have spent a year in Iraq back in '02-'03 and they are going to Afganistan in May.:usa Two of the best guys I have been fortunate enough to work with. :drinkup

  6. #6Cat287B2009-03-29 13:14

    Thank you for your service to our country!! Pete

  7. #7Speedpup2009-03-29 13:20

    Don't wory you will get a job and you will be well trained. I personally go out of my way to hire and keep veterans in my company. I have no clue why anyone would not want to hire people who served their country and protected the people in it. :usa:usa What do they have you operating now or what training have you recieved? Thanks for you service.:usa

  8. #8bill53622009-03-29 17:11

    Soldati06 I like to hire ex military especially if they fulfilled their full enlistment obligation. I find that prior military are able to show up on time and can follow directions, and take pride in their appearance. Try and prepare yourself for the outside world, make sure that you are up to date with the type of work you looking at (Utility, road building, etc.) there is a little difference between the way government does things and private business. Private business has to really watch cost and efficiency, since they have to turn a profit. If you are state side you might be able to get on with a company now for some part time work to gain some experience and contacts. And for one vet to another thank you very much for you service to our country. The sacrifices you have made are truly appreciated by a lot of Americans, good luck with you future.

  9. #9Bobcat1902009-03-29 18:34

    I would think being in the forces would put you at the top of the list! I am not from the Us, but thanks for your services, and I have so much respect for any soldier. Thankyou and God bless

  10. #10Soldati062009-03-30 01:53

    well thank you to all of you for the respect that makes my day! and umm lets see im licensed on the wheel loader grader, dozer, scraper 5 ton, see truck, roller, right now thats about it i have only been in a year and im stationed in germany right now so there is not alot of operating going on but every chance there is i make sure i get on it!! lol 3 years left

  11. #11stumpjumper832009-03-30 06:47

    Keep your nose clean man. Civilian sector isnt that great right now, especially for heavy equipment operators. Alot of skilled and experienced operators lookin for work right now. I got out of the navy in '04, and lookin back I should have stayed in for another 6 years. Of course that would give me 10, with 10 to go till retirement... I'd have made a career out of it. With the state of the economy, I still might go back in. Military has a very low rate for layoffs and the boss doesn't say "I can't afford your insurance."

  12. #12dirtpusher92009-03-30 09:04

    Thank you and everyone else that ever served for this GREAT COUNTRY.