Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Increasing HP

five20too ยท 2012-01-30 21:36

I don't really guess I know what makes a 80 HP machine a 80 HP machine. Is it the engine HP that is measured or is it some sort of calculation between the hydraulics, drive motors and engine? If a guy were to modify his existing engine to get more HP at the crank, would that make the hydraulics stronger or are they limited by design?

Replies8
  1. #1stray cat.Inc2012-01-30 22:59

    Your H.P. Is determine by the fuel setting in the fuel injection system (injection pump), the hydraulics are limited by your relief valve settings (psi). Increasing your fuel setting for more engine H.P. will have an effect only up to the overall setting of your hydraulic circuit pressure settings.

  2. #2KSSS2012-01-30 23:30

    When you see a machine rated for a given hp rating that is flywheel hp. You may also see a figure for hyd hp in the spec sheet. However typically skid steers are classified by engine hp not hyd hp. I cant instantly recall the formula but it involves engine HP, psi, and gpm to give you hyd hp of a given machine.

  3. #3lumberjack2012-01-31 00:18

    GPM x PSI/1714= hp What goal are you trying to achieve?

  4. #4xcmark2012-01-31 17:25

    if your machine bogs down easy with a heavy hydrolic load and doesnt recover then maybe more crank HP from turning up the injector pump is your cure . but I am not sure what I am thinking is the question.

  5. #5five20too2012-01-31 19:46

    I was just curious if by turning up my engine I could get additional hydraulic capacity. In other words I want to be able to lift more. Speed isn't really important to me at all as I rarely put it in high range anyways. I am using mine to clear off my property and some of the trees I am pulling out take a good while longer to remove (ie. I need to dig a lot before before I can pull them up). I just didn't know if the hydraulics that are installed are only rated for my machines HP.

  6. #6lumberjack2012-01-31 20:50

    Hp basically doesn't effect lift capacity at all.

  7. #7KSSS2012-01-31 22:26

    Sounds like you need or want a bigger machine. You cant increase lift capacity by turning up the engine, sometimes you can play with relief settings to get more lift capacity but the success of that varies by the machine. You might be able to just add counterweight. What is the brand and model of the machine you have now?

  8. #8five20too2012-01-31 22:29

    It's a Mustang 2086. It's powerful enough but I just have to work a little more to get some other ones out.