Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Indian Machinery

JGS Parts ยท 2012-10-21 17:36

G'day guys had my local Indian machinery guy on the horn trying to sell me the latest and greatest. had to share

Replies24
  1. #1TrentNz2012-10-21 17:42

    jeeze are they stuck in the 90s?

  2. #2Hendrik2012-10-21 17:48

    They have all sorts of stuff http://www.susumo.in/products.htm

  3. #3Hendrik2012-10-21 17:53

    Umnnh, didn't you mean 70's?

  4. #4mitch5042012-10-21 18:22

    Kinda looks like their engineering was done by copying the cheap plastic toys sold in dollar stores. wild.

  5. #5JGS Parts2012-10-21 18:26

    hahah yeah that was my first thought Tonka should be sueing them hahah

  6. #6CM19952012-10-21 18:51

    That was what I thought when I saw them, although I might give a late '70's, early '80's rating. http://www.susumo.in/products-loader2-specs.htm Notice the HP rating, is that a typo?? It does beat a shovel.:beatsme

  7. #7JGS Parts2012-10-21 19:05

    that wont be a typo i have seen machines from india with 3hp engines and things mate its bad.

  8. #8OzDozer2012-10-21 20:54

    I have a mate (buddy) who imports Metex stationary engines from India. He went for a tour of several Indian manufacturing plants to get an "insiders" look at how they operate. The factory operations would make you blanch. In the Metex factory, the guys in the foundry work in flip-flops ("thongs" to us Aussies). They pour out a ladle of molten steel and then two guys in flip-flops grab the handles each side of the ladle, and do an "obstacle course" trek of fancy footwork, across the factory floor, threading their way through assorted piles of patterns, castings, tools, and general rubbish, until they find the mold they have to pour. They then upend the ladle into it. Gloves are usually rags wrapped around their hands. If one guy breaks a leg, there's a dozen more waiting at the factory door to take his place. They're probably getting about $5 a day for carrying the ladles around. He visited the Grove crane factory where a dozen assorted completed truck cranes were parked outside. Inside, guys were lifting heavy components using hemp ropes and pulley blocks. When he asked the manager why they didn't utilise a Grove crane to do all the heavy lifting in the factory, the manager looked dumbfounded - and said, "but, what would all these men do, then? - they'd be unemployed!" A lot of Indian manufacturing still operates in the '50's and '60's, producing 50's and 60's equipment. They have to, because the machines go to work amongst peasants who are illiterate, and who have only recently moved into mechanisation. Indian machinery production is adequate for the Indian machinery market - but it can't compete on the world market - except in pricing. You want cheap? You get cheap, when you buy Indian machinery.

  9. #9ma71t2012-10-21 21:46

    Those pieces are halarious..... Especially with the operators on them, they just look like a friggin toy thats going to break in a week...... Sad how much cmrap is being produced in the name of price.

  10. #10Huntoon2012-10-22 02:23

    hey that off-road golf cart excavator looks pretty neat.

  11. #11pp13bnos2012-10-22 10:11

    I beleive TaTa (the baby excavator) owns Jaguar, and Land Rover. Not that I was ever in the market for one...

  12. #12sKunk2012-10-22 20:47

    "The arm can also be fitted on vehicles like Jeep, Tempo etc" http://www.susumo.in/products-excavator.htm i want a tempo-excavator! :drinkup

  13. #13mitch5042012-10-22 22:37

    Surely it's not a Ford Tempo car, must be some kind of jeep copy. Tempo is an Indian vehicle maker, but, I'm w/ you, if I could get a Ford Tempo Excavator, I'd buy one in a minute.

  14. #14lectro882012-10-22 22:48

    as stated earlier, this is 1 of those that makes you shake your head and woneder why even bother. It makes me remember the towable/backhoe boom built on a trailer. Also better than a shovel. anybody remember?

  15. #15verano2012-10-23 04:33

    The products are really not in the modern world.

  16. #16JGS Parts2012-10-23 05:02

    Now now mate people who live in glass houses should not throw stones i have seen some of your back yard outfits

  17. #17lectro882012-10-26 22:28

    I stopped today looking for hydraulic parts and was shocked to find out mahindra tractors are indian and they make their own diesel engines too. With pretty much no problems according to their mechanic. I think their tractors "look" good. Not sure I'd purchase given all the other options available. but a different aspect for sure.

  18. #18Dualie2012-10-26 22:41

    X2. next hes going to start commenting on working conditions and wages.

  19. #19joispoi2012-10-27 00:51

    Does anybody else get the "Borat" theme song in their head when looking at those machines?

  20. #20verano2012-10-27 10:37

    I have been to India for several times,there are also lots of factories producing good products, such tractors ,medicine ,Motorbike.I have visited Mahindra ,tata,JCB before. Tata had cooperated Hitachi, JCB is a leading construction equipment factory in India,JCB backhoe domain the market.

  21. #21JGS Parts2012-10-27 11:25

    JCB is not Indian it is British

  22. #22Nige2012-10-27 13:52

    I worked in mining in India on & off for 4 years. Generally their machinery (20 years ago it must be said) at that time was obsolete designs from Western manufacturers (like Haulpak for example) or former Komatsu models that had been replaced by newer designs in the Western World. Bharat Earthmovers Ltd (BEML) down in Banglalore manufactured these products under licence from the original manufacturers. As a Brit I immediately compared them to something like say a 1970's Land-Rover (i.e. they came with oil leaks as standard equipment right from the factory). Similarly Indian engine manufacturer Kirloskar in Poona had a tie-up with Cummins and manfuactured engines under the Kirloskar-Cummins brand name. There was also a blasthole drill manufacturer whose name scapes me at the minute who had a similar arrangement with i think Ingersoll-Rand to produce drilling machines. The common factor them with all of them was quality - basically there wasn't any...........!! Now maybe that has improved in the last 20 years but from what I've seen of the stuff they export I would tend to think that the change, if any, has been small. Having said all that, my experience of Indians was that they were by no means dumb. Their engineers & computer geeks that I came across were definitely clever. However the downside was that they had major difficulty in communication between their undoubtedly clever brains and their hands. Most engineers I met wouldn't even think of getting their hands dirty, and therein lay their greatest problem. Effective communication between a "hands-off" style of management/supervision because it was "beneath their status/dignity" and a workforce that was mostly illiterate.

  23. #23CM19952012-10-27 20:35

    I think you hit the nail on the head there Nige. Having experienced Latin American culture by living there, I understand the "beneath me to do that" mind set. The Class System is probably the Developing/Third World country's biggest issue. One may be the greatest chef in the world but if you tie their hands, they can't lift a pan.:cool2

  24. #24verano2012-10-28 04:46

    HI, I know JCB is Britain brand, I know also lots of brand in the world,even the BEML OF India,Bell in South Afrcia. Those factories I also touched before. In India ,nobody think JCB is Britain brand,that's JCB successful.