I went through the apprenticeship hiring process this year and made it through the interview stage and then got a letter telling me that I was not going to be getting into the program. I had all documents and pre interview requirements completed. My questions are, do any of you or have any of you ever had this happen and when you tried again the following year get anywhere? Does anyone have any advice on what I should have said during the interview? I didn't lie saying that I knew more than what I actually know about operating equipment. I know how to operate a back hoe/skid steer/fork lift/tractor(semi)/fire engines/tanker trucks/dump truck/farm tractors. although I am not a professional I do understand the basics of them. I have had the same job for the last 15 years. so my work history shouldn't have been an issue. no felony's. is there any other way of joining the IUOE? any help will not go unappreciated. thanks
Would need to ask the Hall 'Why'? They will tell you if you ask and what was the issue you need to address. Sometimes just staying in their face helps.
Local 150 ? Ask the apprenticeship program coordinator in person why you were denied to enroll. Most likely it was because they interview way more applicants than they have openings for. I'm not sure, but I think that they are required by law to accept applications from anyone that asks for one.
It doesn't mean you did anything wrong, they probably had hundreds or thousands of applicants. If it is what you want, you should try again. Never been to your part of the country so I don't know about that local, but another way to get in might be to be running equipment for someone they want to organize.
Might not be enough work to take on every applicant. Most if not all apprenticeships require working under the supervision of a journeyman but it is still a paying job. If there isn't enough work, there isn't the money to create jobs to pay the apprentices.
If you can get a signatory contractor to sent a letter on company letterhead to the hall that states they have a job for you it will get you in the door. But as others have stated there needs to be enough work to support the applicants.
Last I checked they were full of operators and dying for mechanics. Maybe time for career change.