Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a machine from a company no longer in operation

born2ride ยท 2017-09-27 12:42

I have a old Allis HD5 , been looking for a parts machine, Upon searching I see some larger Allischalmers forsale in the 10,15 or 20k range. Question is how can you spend that much on a old machine knowing parts may not be available? Am I missing something?

Replies10
  1. #1DMiller2017-09-27 13:59

    I bought my two 7G machines for $2500 each then paid to haul both. I have a parts machine and a running unit. As far as newer FA machines I see quite a few under the $10k figure that appear to be decent condition but the proof would be standing alongside them. Some have metric rails closer to Cat standard sizes but if rails are issue as well rollers or idlers or even segments those can be problematic as to finding where conversions to Cat have been the typical fix $$$. The Iveco engines are also a issue as the FA units seem to have some off-breed configurations parts are hard found to repair. I had considered a 16B for $12500 with new rails, great condition and running gear in great shape but declined, just something said no besides the wife and finances where that machine is sitting at a repair shop awaiting parts that may no longer exist and is functionally worthless(trans). My $.02, buy a Cat or Deere if you want a functional repairable easy access to pieces machine, and yes I enjoy my Allis but I deal with the same conditions as all with them do.

  2. #2born2ride2017-09-27 18:07

    I love my little Hd5, It's been a trouble free machine after the steering clutches I did. Great power, Hydraulic are strong as hell , Only flaw I noticed is she very slow compared to modern stuff . LOL.... Modern to me is my 72 case 450... Being a backyard operator I did not know if all undercarriages where the same or close. Why buy a 10k machine if you can not find seals to fix a leak. I have some rubber hoses on the fuel system i could not match up around here. Keeping thing as close to factory is important to me . I was originally looking for an AC with a 6 way blade before i bought my case . Did not find one .

  3. #3DMiller2017-09-27 19:28

    Allis seals are no longer made. I bought the last one known to exist for my old 7G, is a neoprene square cornered donut with steel washers to each side, compresses into a housing and seals both directions with sprocket preload. No one has used one similar and no one makes them anymore. Common to most of the older Allis styles, FA used similar but discontinued after Hitachi blend. Rails for larger units inch measure 7.875", most of the 11B 7G and others as the FL10 used a 7", the rest used a Fiat based rail. Now people cannot get rails or rollers save going to EU to ship back $$$$. Transmissions same issue, used all forms of absorbed company parts all but discontinued anymore. Some days I really regret my 7G others so glad I have the old obstinate hard to deal with but still digs hard and solid for my use machine. Had a chance before this to spend some coin on a 977K, had decent rails, huge bucket and used lots of fuel while still slow, let it get past me. If I ever get any cash ahead once again I will go Cat next time, even if old.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2017-09-27 19:52

    Perfect place to put in a plug fer the unofficial Allis Web page, DMiller. Surprised you didn't bring it up... http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forums.html And they letcha argue politics, downstairs, too

  5. #5DMiller2017-09-27 19:55

    Hi Dave, having some fun are we??!! Yes the AC forum is a good place to get help and ideas as well pick at old machines available for pieces.

  6. #6born2ride2017-09-27 21:10

    I was looking at an HD11 then i fell in love with the HD21!!!

  7. #7DMiller2017-09-28 06:10

    21's were strong machines, a good aspect of them is they use a compatible rail with D8H, not as hard to convert that yet still hard to find remaining parts. Know of one converted to Cummins engine Cat running gear and still works fire lines in CA.

  8. #8born2ride2017-09-28 11:23

    I was thinking for swapping a 2-71 into my 72 case 450

  9. #9Junkyard2017-09-28 17:10

    Music to my ears

  10. #10old-iron-habit2017-09-28 19:04

    I seem to remember a Detroit in an older smaller Case that was purchased by an Amish fellow at a auction I was at in Wisconsin. Not sure if it was a transplant or not but it sure looked factory. I'm guessing a 70s machine, loader on it, comparable to a 350JD size or close.