Like many others have stated, I am also new here. I searched the site and I haven't found the information I'm looking for. I just got out of the military and I am looking into a career as an operating engineer. I have some questions... I plan to start out in an apprentice program, is this a good way to start out? What is the lifestyle like as an operating engineer? Pay? Hours? Time off? Lay offs? Any info helps. Thanks!
depends on who you work for and what state you do it in. pay: 10 to 20 as an apprentice, depending on performance and skill. Hours: 40 to 60 in the summer 40 if your lucky when the snow is on the ground Time off, lay off;. in the winter, so take all you can get in the summer, unless you work in the south.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup Most of the questions you ask have variable answers depending on the region one is located. If you are looking to stay local, we'll need to hear from someone in your area. Here in the northeast, the pay can be good, but the work can be spotty at times. It all depends on the state of the economy in general. If the economy is good, there's lots of construction. When it's bad, not much goes on and there is little work.
I am looking to stay local. Living in Minnesota.
I dont live anywhere near you, we have a pretty mild winter, just a lot of rain from nevember-june, so it can get slow at times. Starting wage for a union apprentice here is $19 an hour, and i think its a 4 year program with journymen pay at $29. Non union your looking at being a laborer/pipelayer for a year or two and working your way up, starting between $10-15/hour. I work 50-70 hours a week when i can, usually a hair over 40 hours during the winter because there isnt enough daylight for more. occasional day or two off if its raining real hard or snowing. I work for a smaller excavation company and they try to keep the coupld guys they have busy. I know a lot of the bigger outfits will lay off a lot of people or just shut down for the harsh winter months. Its a pretty glamorous lifestyle, playing in the mud and dirt, working on live sewer lines, digging around existing utilities when you cant trust the locating people. Invest in some good boots and raingear :thumbsup