Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Info on used 2004-2007 1T dually diesel trucks?

fastline ยท 2017-11-28 23:19

Long story short, had a truck just totaled out from a deer hit. Need to find a used dually diesel. Need to decide on brand and which year models specifically to look for. I know GM best. Truck will need to be crew cab, 4x4. Higher miles OK as long as the truck historically is good for it. Will use primarily local and not worked too hard. Need to consider creature comforts, ride quality, MPG, etc. I know on GM, I will stay WELL away from the LB7 trucks and go to 2004.5-2006 LLY trucks, but prefer a 2006 LBZ truck if I can find one. I believe all 1T are solid axle on front? Also, was considering a Dodge with Cummins 5.9. Engine seems like a no brainer but Dodge seems to really lack on wrapping a good truck and trans around that engine IMO. Ford seems to be a wild card IMO. 7.3 engines were solid but Ford got their interiors from Kmart. Then they started building a nicer truck, but the 6.0 was a disaster. The 6.4 was better but I think still had issues?

Replies3
  1. #1tpitt2017-11-28 23:55

    GM 1 tons do not have a solid front axle!

  2. #2GregsHD2017-11-29 18:56

    Yep the last real truck (solid front axle) GM made was 1991 crew cab 3500 square body, they canned that and went to the Kmart junk for years. Still use the cheesy pot metal front diff, best riding trucks around, most all logging p.u. here are now GM, they can wail on them without feeling any bumps but they don't last with the abuse. My recommendation is a 2007 5.9 3500 Dodge with the 6speed manual. Great trucks, seen many with 1mil + kms with no more then regular expected maintenance items. Not the best for comfort though. Six in a row, you're ready to tow! Eight in a vee, you probably sit down to pee!

  3. #3Junkyard2017-11-29 20:05

    Taking all the pros and cons into account hands down a dodge 5.9. The very last auto trans weren't terrible unless you towed heavy or used a tunner on them. If you want a stout tranny get one with a 6.7 and do the deletes, which in CA may not be an option 5.9 is easy to work on and even parts aren't terrible for them. Dashes still suck in the 06-07 trucks. Still have pontential death wobble issues in 4x4 but it's a solid front end. I've run em all and worked on em all and I'd have a dodge at any given time over the others. Just my .02