Greetings everyone, A logging friend of my recently purchased a 50+year-old Autocar logging truck with a Crown self-loader installed on it. He was told its a Crown 220 loader but that is unconfirmed and I've never heard of a Crown loader with that number. Maybe someone else here has? Anyway, we spent the last couple of weeks going through everything to get the old girl up to working like it should again after is sat for years. The truck is in unbelievably good condition for its age and the trype of work it does, but the loader has some hydraulic issues we're still working to resolve. I'll probably post someting about the specific hydraulic problems in a different thread but in this thread, I'd like to know if anyone can point me to a place where I can find detailed information on Crown log-loaders such as operating manuals, specifications, hydraulic diagrams, parts lists, etc. You know, the usual things that you'd find in a service manual for a piece of equipment. I have searched everywhere on the Internet for many hours and all I can find is a few pictures, most of which are for Crown 3000 self-loaders. The loader on this truck may be a 3000 series loader, but I don't know enough about the loader to identify it. Help identifying which loader it is would be greatly appreciated as well. I've attached several photos to aid in the ID. We'd be very grateful for any help locating literature on Crown loaders. Thank you! Mike Vail Stevenville. MT. USA
Definitely not a 3000 crown. They had a bigger frame, that big round tube that goes from the truck frame up to the rotec. Crown was bought by Ross Equipment their manufacturing company Danebo built a few then stopped making them. Ross sold Thunderbird to Madill and everything was gone after that. There probably isn't any information for your loader available. I had a 3000 for a while and i have seen one other one like yours. Anything I needed for the Crown i got from Crane Equipment here in Eugene, they build Grizzly loaders. Any hydraulic shop can help you with parts or hydraulic issues. All the parts were basically off the shelf items. As for the model number it might be a 1500 but don't quote me on that. good luck
Thank for the info my friend. I really appreciate it! My buddy did some additional searching on the loader body and found some sort of label saying it is a Crown model 25001 with serial number in the low 800s. Still can't find documents on it. The loader has a hydraulic issue where the lines and cylinders get very hot and lose lifting power after about 30 mimutes of use loading logs. I'm gonna do another post about that issue and see if anyone can give us some help in identifying the problem. Thanks again! Mike
Talk to crane Equipment manufacturing Corp in eugene, they build the Grizzly loaders but also support the crown, and acquired all the documentation from ross
Don't know if your still looking or if anyone else would like some info. My dad worked at Crown Cranes when I was little and then Started D&S Hydraulics in 1978 before they went bankrupt. I still have a bunch of the old equipment drawings and even original CROWN stickers! We work on all phases of Hydraulics. We're a remanufacturer and reseller of all brands. You probably already figured it out but sounds like you had a pump failing or possibly seals blown in rotary manifold. Some of our customers are also still running Crown loaders. Call if you'd like 541 419 8609. Good to hear others are still out using those old machines. I miss the good old days of logging.