Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 518 skidder dead engin need to tow to landing can’t get out of gear. Have auxiliary air to un lock brakes any suggestions.thanks

Jeff logger alaska · 2023-08-03 00:25

Have cat 518 log skidder with dead engin spun crank Bering. need to tow up to landing, can’t get out of gear to role have auxiliary air compressor to release the brake still won’t role any suggestions, thanks

Replies9
  1. #1Coaldust2023-08-03 01:31

    It should move. The torque converter should spin independently from the engine. It’s been a long time since I worked on a 518, but I’ve dragged them before. Maybe the crank shaft is catastrophic and the TC is jammed up. ? Pull harder, She’ll come easy. That’s what I learned from the rigging crew.

  2. #2Jeff logger alaska2023-10-29 14:49

    Hi, well I got the machine back to shop pulled engine rebuilding now. but with the braking system how can I release the air brakes? Like on a big truck I can cage the brakes to unlock them. Any ideas thanks

  3. #3Mike L2023-10-29 14:52

    Can you unhook the discharge line from the compressor and hook shop air to it?

  4. #4Nige2023-10-29 15:10

    Pull the axle shafts.? Post a Serial Number I'll look up the towing procedure.

  5. #5Jeff logger alaska2023-10-29 15:15
  6. #6Nige2023-10-29 15:31

    That's the engine Serial Number plate. I need the machine Serial Number. Oh, and BTW that engine originally came from a generator set........

  7. #7Jeff logger alaska2023-10-29 16:16
  8. #8Jeff logger alaska2023-10-29 16:18

    We are using the block from a generator set because the crank shaft counter balance shaft were bent and broken with a cracked head.thanks

  9. #9Nige2023-10-29 18:39

    The scratches on the plate make it difficult to interpret, but going in via the transmission S/N 1ZC01901 led me to a machine Serial Number of 95U02184, built June 1988. So you can either apply external air, cage the parking brake, or remove the axle shafts. See attached that covers all three.