Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injection pump for cummins. Please help me with ebay issue

Steve Bowman · 2018-12-27 19:10

This community has been very helpful to me in the past. Hopefully there are some that can offer me some advice. I will try to be as brief as possible, but there are lots of details. Through my employer, I came to posess an injection pump. This was from our store room and was a rebuilt spare with tags from the rebuilder and plastic plugs. Checking the number on the tag showed that it was for a Cummins 4B 3.9. This jived with the equipment owned by the company. The pump did not fit my particular 4B 3.9, so I put it for sale on ebay. I stated no warranty, and no return. Due to that, I priced it well below the same model pump sold by rebuilders that included warranty. Before the buyer who ultimately bought it, he had asked me some questions but was not sure it would fit his engine. He said it was for a 1845c, which I now understand is a Case skid steer. Last message before purchase. Now, a month or so later(purchased Dec 8th), he has initiated a return through ebay. Stating that the engine won't run because the pump is "lock up". I suspect that is false and he just wants his $ back because the application is not correct. My experience with ebay is substantial, but they usually very much side with the buyer. I am just looking for advice, as i do not want ebay to force me to refund the $. Thanks

Replies35
  1. #1Steve Bowman2018-12-27 19:12

    Here is my listing description. Listed for sale is a rebuilt Delphi injection pump for a 4B3.9 12 volt system. CPL # 0591. This genuine Delphi pump has been fully rebuilt and re-calibrated by Valley Fuel Injection Service in Roanoke, VA. I am not affiliated with the re-builder and do not offer a warranty. I got this with some other engine parts, but my engine takes an inline Bosh style pump. This pump will not fit my engine, so I am selling it. I believe the Cummins number is 3908646 and Lucas / Delphi / CAV number is DPA 3042F210. This item is a original Delphi injection pump, not an import. This 3042F210 pump may fit other applications. Please check that it fits your engine. Normally, these pumps require a $300 core deposit. My pump is sold without a core required. This saves you $$$ Also included is a new genuine Delphi 7185-900 solenoid and there are the 4 seals for the injector lines, and the key on the shaft. See the pictures to answer your questions.

  2. #2BigWrench552018-12-27 19:22

    I’ve sold stuff on eBay and one of the things I did was to make inconspicuous marks and took pictures so I would know if it was mine being returned to me. I would make him return it and if everything is good then tell the buyer he can take it back at his own expense or lose it but no refunds. If you get it back and it’s damaged then no refund. The fact is that the buyer should have done his research before pulling the trigger and buying something he can’t use. It shouldn’t cost you anything because he didn’t know what he needed.

  3. #3Steve Bowman2018-12-27 19:24

    Good points. I have responded with a question or two, but have not received any answers yet. I am considering just offering a partial refund soon so that I get 1st choice, so to speak. Giving a little back is better than all of it. But like I said, ebay is not really in the seller's corner

  4. #4alrman2018-12-27 19:29

    Was the pump in the locked position when you sold it? If the new owner fitted the pump & tried to run the engine with it locked, well that's hardly your fault.... It's all hard to prove, short of opening up the pump & taking a look. If you said it has no warranty, well he has agreed to that when the purchase was made.

  5. #5Jonas3022018-12-27 19:29

    Your going to end up paying return shipping and full refund might as well do it on a good note and keep your positive feedback If it is locked up from sitting you wouldn't want to stick the buyer with it If its not your out $20-30 and can relist it

  6. #6Junkyard2018-12-27 19:29

    Based on your listing I think you’ve covered your rear as far as what it will fit or not fit. Hopefully you have enough pics to verify it’s your pump and also that it hasn’t been damaged. I’ve never dealt with a return through eBay. Tough part is if they decide you owe a refund they’ll just take it through PayPal or whatever banking setup you have. I hope it works in your favor. We can’t fix stupid!

  7. #7Steve Bowman2018-12-27 19:30

    He just responded... Says it will not turn by hand. Has not installed it yet. I did not check when i had it, as I did not want to effect the timing. I suppose it is remotely possible it is locked up, but I find it hard to believe. I will gave him remove the plugs while trying to turn it. It coumd be hydro locked

  8. #8BigWrench552018-12-27 19:30

    The buyer says that the pump is locked up. I’ve been doing this for 20 years and never seen a injection pump lock up. I’m not saying that it cannot happen just unlikely. If I’m not mistaken isn’t the Delphi pump the one that you remove a screw and spacer. And then install the screw back to lock in the pump to time it.

  9. #9Steve Bowman2018-12-27 19:34

    My experience too. Not sure, the pump I sold was the rotary one. Mine is inline. It would have to have lots of water contamination for it to lock up, is my thought. Perhaps a timing pin is in it?

  10. #10Steve Bowman2018-12-27 19:48

    He said he has put penetrating oil in the line fittins, with no luck. Perhaps a timing pin like Paul mentioned? Where is that on this pump? In my quick search, i see that the Case 1845c may be turbo??

  11. #11Birken Vogt2018-12-27 20:03

    Just remember that with ebay the buyer is faultless and the seller is scum, always, all the time. If he has not installed it, have him send it back, and relist it once you figure it out.

  12. #12BigWrench552018-12-27 20:03
  13. #13alrman2018-12-27 20:14

    @Paul Council Sweet artwork!

  14. #14Steve Bowman2018-12-27 20:14

    You are awesome! Hope that is it! I sent him that picture

  15. #15catman132018-12-28 00:08

    if was just rebuilt that lock screw would still be set , I just put a rebuilt pump in my tractor and once I had it set and timed I had to unlock it with that bolt in your picture

  16. #16partsandservice2018-12-28 08:43

    The pump shop has it LOCKED IN TIME!!! He should not turn the pump or release the lock until it is installed with engine TDC 1. If he turns the pump prior to installation he is going to try to tell you the pump is bad because it wont run the engine because he has the pump out of time.

  17. #17partsandservice2018-12-28 08:47

    Also, after one has installed the pump in time, the lock bolt would be loosened prior to and the tab the bolt goes through would be slid to go under the lock bolt so it can't go all the way down and tightened. If the lock bolt is not reset before turning the engine over the pump will be damaged.

  18. #18heymccall2018-12-28 10:05

    Perhaps the consumer could read the tag attached to the pump? From the fuzzy picture, 2nd line up, "locking device must..."

  19. #19Steve Bowman2018-12-28 10:07

    Lol

  20. #20thepumpguysc2018-12-28 11:05

    YUP.. locked timing screw STILL ENGAGED.. what an ma roon.. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing because if he did, he wouldn't have asked the question in the 1st place> does it fit my machine.?? All u have to do is compare the #'s on the name tag.. I feel for ya man.. your probably gonna take it in the shorts.?? EVEN WITH the timing bolt UNLOCKED u can hardly turn it by hand.. I never lock them if the drive shaft is keyed.. JUST FOR THAT REASON.. People don't know how to time them when/BEFORE they remove them, so the key isn't going to be in the correct position anyway.. U wouldn't believe the emails I get.. I simply tell them to rotate the drive until the key WILL LINE UP & line up the timing line marks on the mounting flange..

  21. #21Tinkerer2018-12-28 15:56

    Give him a refund and get it back before he really screws it up ! Idiots like him should be arrested for even thinking about doing a pump replacement.

  22. #22BigWrench552018-12-28 16:21

    I would charge a restocking fee of 100%.

  23. #23Steve Bowman2018-12-28 18:15

    Woohoo! Well, i walked him through it. Timing pin was the issue. I agree, wish he was more knowledgeable. At least now, i think if he screws it up, i sent all messages through the ebay system. Maybe enough evedince in my favor.

  24. #24kshansen2018-12-28 18:46

    Nah, just give him thepumpguys contact info!

  25. #25thepumpguysc2018-12-28 20:32

    Dam Hansen, I thought we were buddies.??!! Lol The problem w/ walking him thru it is>> are the pump #'s THE SAME??? They ALL LOOK alike.. but running the same is a different story..

  26. #26BigWrench552018-12-28 20:54

    That’s good news. Good luck on your future eBay sales.

  27. #27hosspuller2018-12-28 23:04

    Thanks for the E-bay selling lesson. I bought a A/C compressor on E-bay that specified installation by other than a certified tech voided the warranty. I wonder how E-bay would handle that sort of sale condition. I see several instances of items sold as "for parts" ... "not working" to head off issues like OP's

  28. #28kshansen2018-12-29 09:18

    You mean all Cummins pumps aren't interchangeable? A pump off a 4B 3.9 should work just fine on a K19 right?

  29. #29thepumpguysc2018-12-29 09:45

    hahaha.. THATS EXACTLY WHY I never wanted to learn the Cummins PT pumps.. {over the road drivers} I've seen it too many times..about 1000.. fella walk in says I need my pump rebuilt.. comes back the next day & picks it up.. 3 hrs later the guy is FUMMIN MAD at the front counter.. throws the pump up there & says its worse than when I brought it.. A couple of questions into the conversation & come to find out, THAT PUMP was his "buddies" & he wanted to use it as HIS "spare".. 2 totally different engines.. 2 totally different specs.. BUT HEY> they looked the same..so THEY MUST BE the same. right? NO, NOT right.. & I aint dealin with it.. It happened time & time again.. & all it woulda taken was just a quick question & answer session.. whats your CPL.. did this pump come off the original truck? Whats the engine serial #.. Whats it "turnin now".. & only 1 question EVER had an answer.. "its turnin about 3000 now".. can u make it go faster?? I'm haulin Propane.. lol..

  30. #30Vetech632018-12-29 11:34

    How in the hell did I miss this thread?

  31. #31thepumpguysc2018-12-29 14:22

    & THATS WHY I don't have a Pay Pal account.. TO MANY dirtbags out there trying to get something for nothing.. They take your "stuff" then cry to PP & PP takes the money out of YOUR ACCOUNT & gives it back to them.!! NOW they have YOUR STUFF AND YOUR MONEY..

  32. #32Dave Neubert2018-12-29 14:52

    I had a 5.9 Cummins with a VP Bosh the pump went out I changed it out darn thing woud not start. Got Cummins out they could not figure it out turns out it was timed to the wrong letter on the timing gear and the key way was taken out. I don't knowhow many times someone took that pump off and on to set it right without the keyway. I took off the front cover and set the gear to the right letter put pump on and it ran great. You never know what someone else has done before you get to it

  33. #33thepumpguysc2018-12-29 15:00

    Yup.. NOBODY KNOWS that the keyway sets the timing & is mated to the pump.. WE charged extra for a pump that came in for exchange, that didn't have a key. {not a complete core}

  34. #34Dave Neubert2018-12-29 16:23

    Yep had to get the offset key from Cummins then don't put it in backwards if I remember it has a dot on it that is supposed to face out

  35. #35kshansen2018-12-29 19:36

    Nothing directly to the pump but on the old NH/NT engines where the air compressor crank went all the way though to the pulley on the front of the engine. On those you could get into all kinds of problems trying to set valves and injectors. See once in a while someone would install a new or used compressor and not pay attention to the timing marks. No problem as the timing of the gear had nothing to due with how engine ran. But when you tried using the marks on the accessory pulley to position the cam at the right place to set valves and injectors you were out of luck! At least Cummins was nice enough to put a pipe plug in the front cover so you could see the timing marks without pulling the front cover, if you knew where to look! Also Cummins did sell reman compressors without the crankshaft so as long as your crank was good you just had to work the rod around over the end of the crank and not mess with the timing marks.