Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injection pump gear on 3304

Flhr62 ยท 2016-10-21 17:54

Think I have the engine timed correctly. Ready to put the gear on the injection pump. Manual says to hold a clockwise force on the gear while torquing. I don't understand this unless it's meaning clockwise standing at the back of the motor looking forward. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1DoyleX2016-10-21 18:05

    That is meant to get the backlash out of the geartrain. Yes as sitting on the flywheel looking towards the radiator Do you have the TDC bolt in the flywheel and the pin in the pump? You need the holder otherwise you will sheer the pump pin and maybe the flywheel bolt it your lucky.

  2. #2Flhr622016-10-21 18:18

    Thank you. I am going to have to make a tool to hold it. The manual lists 2 different tools to hold it with. With one of them you use a torque wrench to hold with also. You are supposed to set that one at 50 ft lbs and with the other one torque the bolt to 199 ft lbs. I am not understanding how 50 vs 199 works either.

  3. #3Mark2502016-10-21 18:20

    hi, serial number would be a good start. there are more than one type of fuel systems fitted to these old engines and all have different procedures Mark

  4. #4Flhr622016-10-21 18:23

    21z. Tapered shaft

  5. #5thepumpguysc2016-10-21 20:06

    That torque sounds right.. degrease the shaft, nut and gear w/ brake kleen and if you have some, add a dab of blue loctite to the cam threads. If not, just torque it..

  6. #6Cmark2016-10-21 21:37

    Don't get too hung up on the book procedure. Just put about 50lbf on the bolt with the timing pins in place, remove the pins then turn the engine over twice until the flywheel pin lines up again. If the pump pin drops in then all is good. Torque the bolt to spec.

  7. #7Flhr622016-10-22 10:09

    Thanks for the help. Anyone have a good method to keep engine from turning while torquing?

  8. #8Cmark2016-10-22 16:35

    Jam a screwdriver in the starter ring gear.

  9. #9Flhr622016-10-22 22:50

    Flywheels not on yet. Trying to get everything behind front cover done. Then take it to Cat and let them install front and rear wear sleeves and seals. It's a factory reman motor with the timing marks on crank and cam gears lined up, and the front two pushrods move, if your wondering how I know it's timed. Or how I think I know it's timed.

  10. #10DB22016-10-22 22:59

    Why not let Cat time it already?

  11. #11tctractors2016-10-23 02:36

    The Flywheel must be on and pinned to set injection pump gear, also re-check the torque as this sounds off, the nut if I recall is around 1" **. tctractors

  12. #12Flhr622016-10-23 18:01

    If I can keep motor from turning,why does the flywheel need to be pinned to torque it? Manual says 199 + or - 18, but I have seen other things where it's wrong.

  13. #13Flhr622016-10-23 18:09
  14. #14Cmark2016-10-23 18:49

    I suppose in theory if you can keep #1 TDC accurately set then you don't need to pin the flywheel, but why bother? Just put the flywheel on with a couple of bolts, set the timing and take it off again when it's time to install the crank seal.

  15. #15Flhr622016-10-23 19:16

    Flywheel about whipped my butt coming off. Got any tricks for it?

  16. #16Cmark2016-10-23 21:20

    Do you mean because it's heavy or it was stuck? Use a couple of long guide studs to help get it back on.

  17. #17tctractors2016-10-24 02:14

    The Flywheel and crank end is chisel marked for location, I cannot think of any reason that fitting or removing it is a hardship, it is a 2 minute job to be fare, the front and rear Crank seals can be fitted without a fancy installer just a bit of thought needed. tctractors.

  18. #18Flhr622016-10-24 07:15

    Heavy.

  19. #19Flhr622016-10-24 07:19

    Thanks. Were you able to verify the torque on the pump gear?

  20. #20Cmark2016-10-24 07:44

    Yep, one of the more counter intuitive parts of the job. You would think that a bigger engine would have a heavier flywheel but on a 16 cylinder engine the flywheel is little more than a carrier for the starter ring.