Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injector leak

dan7 ยท 2014-12-10 10:37

I have a john deere excavator. There is a fuel leak on top of one of the injectors. I never had one apart. The fittings are tight. Is there a o-ring that is causing it?

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2014-12-10 13:37

    IF that's a pencil injector, then there's a square (in cross section) rubber grommet under the nut on the return plumbing. It could also be that the tube has pulled out a bit so the grommet doesn't tighten on anything. The tube lengths seem like they were eyeballed sometimes?

  2. #2Mjrdude12014-12-10 15:52

    As Delmer said, the return lines (nozzle bleed) have a thick square cut seal, Deere dealers have loads of them in stock, they get old hard and leak. The main high pressure line from the injection pump has no seal, and they are known to crack right at the ball on the end of them. Is the leak low pressure seeping or spraying?

  3. #3dan72014-12-10 18:26

    I will check tomorrow. thanks

  4. #4overworked2014-12-10 18:49

    Dan, the aluminum tee will deform if over tightened, if it one in the middle then I advise you to just take it apart and replace all the o-rings, loosen lines between them and remove, loosen but from tee and remove tee, push down on but and dig out old seal remove but and inspect threads of but and tee, reuse or replace, JD agg. dealers (green) will also have the parts.

  5. #5overworked2014-12-10 18:51

    Don't be afraid to snap a picture of it and post along with serial number.

  6. #6dan72014-12-11 19:27

    I checked and it is the high pressure from pump. There is no spraying. Just dripping. I have a picture but don't know how to post on here.

  7. #7Mjrdude12014-12-12 11:35

    Generally the line must be replaced. Clean the area at both ends, fuel systems require real clean conditions or they fail. Your Deere dealer probably has the line in stock.

  8. #8dan72014-12-12 21:29

    Thanks everyone. I will do that.