Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

injector pump woes?

sgdig ยท 2015-11-15 16:44

I have a ford 555B 3 cyl diesel, I'm getting some fuel dilution in the oil, I figure the injector pump is the cause, any one know if the pump can be removed with out removing the front cover? any other place the fuel could get to the pan? thanks

Replies15
  1. #1Cmark2015-11-15 17:30

    I'm not familiar with that particular model, but if it has a separate fuel lift pump run off the camshaft, I would suspect this more than the FIP.

  2. #2hookedondiesel2015-11-16 06:50

    I agree with Cmark and much cheaper.

  3. #3sgdig2015-11-16 07:03

    The lift pump is located on the injector pump, the seriel # is 781781, it's a 1979 model I believe, CAV injector pump

  4. #4Cmark2015-11-16 15:15

    If the FIP is lubricated by oil from the engine oil lubrication system, then the lift pump is still suspect. If, on the other hand, the FIP is an older style with it's own separate top up and level plug for lubrication, you can drain it and see if you have oil or fuel in the pump. A picture would be helpful.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2015-11-16 18:21

    2 different pumps went on the 555.. a Simms pump or a CAV, DPA.. IF its a Simms and the supply pump is bolted to the side of the IP.. "broken tractor" has them for 30.00 IF its a DPA.. the front seal is "normally" the culprit.. Go to their website.. it has pictures to help determine what you have..

  6. #6sgdig2015-11-16 18:57

    I have a cav pump, so looks like rebuilding is the option. Can the pump be removed without removing the timing gear cover?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2015-11-17 15:08

    No, the cover has to be removed and there are 3 bolts holding the pump on the drive gear.. The gear is master doweled so installation is fool proof IF YOU DONT MOVE THE GEAR..!!! Just to be on the safe side, mark the gears before removing the pump.. You still might have a "lift pump.???

  8. #8wrwtexan2015-11-17 20:35

    Don't forget to mark static timing of the pump to backing plate if it is running well now.

  9. #9sgdig2015-11-18 20:08

    I am out of town this week, so cannot look at the tractor/ loader until the weekend. I talked to a diesel FIP rebuilder and he said there was an access plate in the cover allowing for disengaging of the pump from the gear. I am hoping he is correct as removal of the front cover requires removal of the entire front of the tractor including the front axel, radiator, hydro pump ect according to my manual. Any hope of this? All fuel lines go to the FIP then to the injectors-no external lift pump.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2015-11-19 18:20

    He's correct.. YOU said timing cover.. I assumed you meant the access cover.. only about 5 bolts.. make sure to scribe a line on the access cover as to its original position.. the holes are "offset" and can be aggravating to put back on if/when its covered in silicone.. and most of the time its WAY EASIER to pull the top radiator hose off for easier access.. As Texan said.. there is a timing mark on the pump flange that lines up w/ some * marks on the block.. make a note as to what * mark its set at.. "normally" its 0*.. Good luck..

  11. #11sgdig2015-11-20 06:38

    many thanks, the FIP is set at zero, I'll hopefully remove it tomorrow, I'll let you know how I make out

  12. #12sgdig2015-12-20 17:19

    Fast forward a few weeks, pump successfully removed and delivered to rebuilder, he says it cannot be rebuilt and he found a new one in the Uk for $1700. many searches on the net have produced aftermarket items with confusing listings most costing aprox $750 The number on my pump is 3238F341, none I can find has this number but listing states will work on 555B 3 cyl. any one know if the number is all important or will application (fits 555B) be sufficient? any one able to de-code number? thanks for any info

  13. #13wrwtexan2015-12-20 22:41

    Call Alexander's down here in Texas (alexanderstractorparts), (903 342 3551). They specialize in aftermarket parts for older Fords. I converted my 3 cylinder Ford/NH powered skid steer from a crappy Delphi pump to the older CAV style which was made in Romania I believe. $700 or so 2 years back. Have them on the shelf.

  14. #14thepumpguysc2015-12-21 07:56

    THAT my friend is BS.. and THATS WHY I do what I do.. Unless the pump is locked-up/seized.. it shouldn't cost more than 650-750 to rebuild.. Did it start and run?? but just had oil dilution?? Then its NOT SEIZED!! EVEN IF it was.. aftermarket head and rotors are available.. for WAY LESS than a 1700.00 pump.. Sounds like you took it to a "replacer" instead of a rebuilder.. Go get your pump.. you have other options.. They're probably gonna hit you w/ a teardown fee tho.. To answer your question>> the pump is a series.. the last # can be 1 thru 9.. BUT your going to be miles ahead if you go get your pump and contact me..

  15. #15thepumpguysc2015-12-22 10:18

    3238F341 NEW on ebay 750.00