Has anyone take the injectors out of a 188 diesel? Of course the manual makes it sound so simple and easy. I think not. If it is anything like taking off the old voltage regulator which took 2 hours. Thanks Dave
If you are working with a CASE 188 engine there is a puller adapter that inserts in the slots on the banjo fitting on the high pressure line. Then you hook your slide hammer to the adapter and knock them out. This is about the only way to get them out without bending them if the are tight. If you arent worried about saving them you can pry and twist on them and they will come out but you will ruin them. Put anti-seize on them before installing and it make removal much easier.
Welcome to the forum Goose:drinkup. Phil
As Goose said there is a special tool. You can ,if you are very carefull, remove them with a prybar but as stated be very carefull as they bend easy. A "heel" type bar inserted under the fuel inlet pipe and a "bent" type prybar inserted into the groove in the injector body will work as long as you GENTLY pry up with both at the same time. This will most of the time get them to pop loose. Avoid rocking the injector as this will cause it to bend. Good luck......Elast
Does anyone have a pic they could post of this special slide hammer attachment? I bought the rolling head pry bars that are in the manual. Thanks for the advice and help.
Don have a picture of it but it is on the OTC website, part # 7121. The one I have like that broke after and OTC sent me a newer style with a John Deere number on it but it does not work as well.
Goose, I often wondered about the longevity of that tool. The slots in the injector body aren't very wide or deep and with a siding hammer....I've had some that came out very hard, had to get them turning back and forth. I had one that I bent so I put it back in the cylinder head, hit it with a rubber hammer and it worked fine .Most are no good at that point though. Generally I think you've got to be prepared to spend the money for new. Even if they come out good, there's usually one or two that don't spray well. I have an older G188 spare engine and it has the older style head with the larger injectors. These are much cheaper to fix. I haven't found a source yet of cheap pencil injectors, usually have to pay over $100. Phil
the way ive removed them is take an injector line and cut it so you can remove the line nut then weld that nut to a nut that will fit on the slide hammer.its cheaper to replace the line usually than injectors.
I had a 903 cummins engine that I tried & tried and could not get them out. I sprayed them with Liquid Wrench and let them sit over night. The next morning after I made sure there was nothing holding them again I turned the key! The compression pushed them right out. I also had a 188 engine in a 580 CK and I fought with them too. I just kept working them & spraying them. Hit the key and did it again & again. They eventually came out.
I got the injectors out this afternoon. Three came out no problem at all, the front one took a little more muscle. I bought a pry bar just like in the manual and it worked like a charm. The front also brought out the sleeve though. Thanks for all your advice and ideas. The head is off to be checked for square. :drinkup
Injectors were so dirty they used a pressure washer before putting in the ultrasound. All rebuilt and ready to go.