Some picts I received in an e-mail today. Have any of you done this? If so tell us the story
Some more!!
looks like a lot of stress on the machine to me. you would think it would be set on with a crane.
Wow, That is a bit scary.
I saw that a while back---special hydraulics for those hoes to unload coal from the cars--Not me.
That is a Herzog unit. They have a whole fleet of these that they use just for this purpose. They have worked extensively with Cat to make a special package on their hoes so they will hold up. That is a long what up there.....more importantly a LONG way down if something slipped up:jawdrop Nice pics:scool...I have never actually seen it performed.
Quite a bit of pucker factor in that operation!
It's a Herzog unit called the Cartopper, as Farmboy said. Go to the site below and click on Cartopper Material Handler. Theres a video and some more pictures. Herzog
woo! That would be a little nerve wracking. I've done too many dumb things in my youth before i knew better i'd have to practice that quite a bit before i would be halfway comfortable.
rail topper Thanks for those Dirt Dogg. I saw some pics posted on ACME? a while back but they were from a long way off. They confirm what I summised. Legs on front bucket, hadn't spotted the alteration to the legs though. Once your up there its pretty safe. Wouldn't be too keen without those alterations though.
I dont think that would be that bad. Pay close attention and smooth operation and it should be pretty quick to do. Still a little nerve racking?
I'd seen the pictures before, and looked at the Herzog site. Do you know any more details, farm boy? Other than the brackets, are the hoes structually modified, and are the hydraulics modified?
mods Personally I wouldn't have thought there is much alteration other than that needed to support the mid assembly. ( which could be quite major :Banghead ) The bucket and middle set of guide wheels are only for stability in my opinion. Like the alteration to the jack legs, it is so the machine will centralise on top of the car. The hydraulics on the machine are not being asked to do anything more than they do normally when you think about it logically, just to an extreme angle and higher up :IMO
Herzog Video Didn't see the wire at first, just saw the backhoe move magically between 0:45 and 1:00 in the video.
one operator one lunch box and one clean pair of shorts
you would think there would be an easier way but i guess thats the way to do it
after watching the video that seems to be pretty efficient
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums DBL! :drinkup
i wanna know how he got the front tires on the hoe over the edge.
I agree. the videos @ herzog won't play right. something else occored to me if that thing is spending it's time up on a railcar why leave the front bucket on? I can understand keeping it there if they want to level material but if the biggest majority of its time is up on the car...:beatsme
clearance There are guide wheels on the front bucket. Once the machine is up in the air and vertually level, boom down the front arms and roll the bucket forward will lift the front wheels clear of the rail car top edge.
I think they use the front bucket to help the jump to the next car. I have a buddy that just went to work for Hezog, and I will see if I can get more info to share
It seems like the front bucket contains a winch also. You can see the wire.
great pics!!, never knew they would do that!
I Hadn't spotted the wire, that would make things a lot easier, though it must be a pita to get it up there in the first place When he gets the bogie wheels that are between his axles to the end of the car the front bucket will reach and run on the next car so he can lift himself over the gap. :IMO