Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injector timing for Komatsu PC240-7

Tupiniquim ยท 2012-10-30 10:03

Hi Guys Can anyone help me with some timing problems? I have removed the injector pump from a Komatsu PC240 for overhaul. I have noticed that it has a tapershaft and no keyway. Then I discovered that the pump has a timing mark and can lock in that position. How do I set the timing on the flywheel (or any other place) before mounting the pump? It has a saa6d102e engine.

Replies3
  1. #1Diddley2012-11-20 23:44

    Did you finish this job yet? Yes you are right, there is a timing portion to align the pump for cyl 1 inj. Usually when you remove the pump gear you leave the puller on or there is a chance it might skip a tooth as it falls down after pump removal (not 100% more common on bigger engines) (if this happens and runs poor after you confirm timing is 100% right the timing cover ill have to come off to realign the gear) If you haven't completed this job yet to confirm #1 is at TDC you can either get a pin that goes in from the back of timing cover (if not installed) or align a mark on the flywheel. In a pinch you can remove valve cover off of #1 (I take off #6 as well with this method) and rotate engine until rocker arms are both loose. while turning engine over watch 6 cyl rocker arms and when exhaust rocker is all the way down it will be very close.

  2. #2John C.2012-11-21 20:58

    I believe you have the Cummins variant. There should be a timing pin under the fuel pump mount. You pull it out of the hole and remove the retainer ring. You will see a little knob on the end that fits in a gear in the gear train. It will engage the gear a little before number 1 top dead center. There should also be a timing pin for the fuel pump as well but you would have to ask the rebuilder where it is for sure. Once both pins are in you install the pump and then torque the retaining nut on the drive gear. Take out the timing pins and return them to their proper storage places and you should be ready to roll.

  3. #3Tupiniquim2012-12-15 06:54

    Didley & John thanks I managed to sort it out, its running fine now!