Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injectors

Brandon_M ยท 2017-02-17 21:38

Had a 4bt blow the side of the block out, so I ordered a remanufactored long block. Well put all the stuff from my old engine over to the new engine , everything works well except for the injectors. The old ones will not fit into the hole in the head. It's seems like the nozzle tip of the injector is to big for the hole down in the head. Wanted to use all my old fuel system to make everything work & perform the same any ideas appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2017-02-17 22:04

    Early model 4BT's used a 9mm injector nozzle, you have bought a later model engine which uses a 7mm nozzle. The nozzle holes in the head can be drilled, but I wouldn't want to do that on an assembled engine, as you will fill the combustion chamber of your new engine with iron filings. You really should have your injectors checked out before installing in a new engine, ask the shop that does this to convert your injectors to the later 7mm. Or just buy new ones, on Ebay for under $100 each. I've been around these engines for over 30yrs. Never seen one die as you have described. I suspect you have this thing 'tuned' for max power in something other than heavy machinery?

  2. #2Brandon_M2017-02-17 22:19

    It's in a dozer, not tuned just bad luck. If I change it to 7mm injectors are they a difference in the type of injectors you get? For instance like for a dozer or a vehicle. What would I get to replace the ones in a bulldozer

  3. #3alrman2017-02-17 22:27

    You need to talk with fuel injection guys. There should be part numbers on your current 9mm injectors, give them all the numbers off your fuel injection pump to confirm horsepower etc, & they will match things up. Or Like I said earlier they should be able to fit 7mm nozzles to your current injectors - but way up the cost of reconditioned & new.

  4. #4willie592017-02-17 22:39

    I agree, if I were going to drop the coin for a long block I'd for sure drop some new or rebuilt injectors in it, otherwise would be like putting old spark plugs in a rebuilt gas drinker. And to agree again, a 4BT is dang near bulletproof, never seen one toss a rod. Not saying it can't happen, it's just rare to see one worn slap out like that.

  5. #5Brandon_M2017-02-18 04:20

    The wrist pin broke & pushed the rod out the side of the #4 cylinder. Does a 7mm injector spray any less than a 9mm injector?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2017-02-18 05:01

    Alrman, is correct in everything he said about your injectors.. The tip/nozzles will drop right in your inj. body but its MUCH> YOU CAN NOT replace the tips at home!! It requires a special jig to compress the tip for disassembly and reassembly. You'll break the small alignment pins inside the injector, EVERY TIME.. & then your core is no good.. so get that thought out of your head.. lol