Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Inna bad mood, tonight…

DIYDAVE ยท 2019-11-10 21:18

Pulled the finishing mower offa one of the kubotas, to move a hay wagon up to the barn, to work on, this winter. Wanted to extend the drawbar, to hook to the wagon. Hadda hammer out the locking pin, not a good omen. Mid PTO, on this lil tractor is in front of the drawbar, so the old sledge hammer moving technique is out... OK, plan b, take the 2 front bolts outta the bracket, eoll around to see what's involved, there... 4 bolts, behind the sway links on the lower pivot, of the 3pt hitch, take them off. Nothing drops off, cause the hinge pin fot the lower 3 pt hitch hasta be slid out to one side, fer alla the stuff to drop off. All this is being held up, by a 10 mm set screw, just under the rear PTO. Its tigh, from 20 years of rust, can't get an impact on it straight, cause of the protruding PTO shaft! Anyway, finally got it moving, using the unscrew, oil, tighten, repeat method. Got that last turn and the set bolt kinda comes out crooked! End was 'shroomed out, and boogered up the threads, on the way out, GRRR! Got mad, put it all t'gether, 'cept the boogered up set bolt, moved the g-d wagon the lousy 200 yards it need to be moved, called it a day. (actually was only on this mission for about 1-1/2hrs, but that was after 3-1/2 hrs mowing, earlier) . Went over to the t&d cabinet, in this shop, and what I thought was a metric set, wasn't, GRRRR, again. Walked up to another building, another t&d set, this WAS metric, walked back down, GRRR, again, no 10 mmx 1.25 tap in this one, GRRR, again, I quit! T'morry I got one more set to look at, then its off to the hardware store! Some days you're the windshield, I guess!

Replies8
  1. #1Ronsii2019-11-10 23:21

    Yep, been there more times than I'd like.... next tool to put on the buy list... a set of thread repair files Use mine all the time to fix bolts I bugger up. https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-repair-files

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-11-11 06:39

    I actually had used a TR file, on the bolt, but the hole's still messed up. The thing I forgot to add, with this setup, (stupid)design wise, I couldn't get the shaft to slide out, with out taking a wheel off, or undoing the axle clamp, and sliding the hub out. All this, just to drop the drawbar, in its case! I think when they built this thing, they started by bolting everything else, above, to the drawbar case...gonna leave the lock pin out this winter, and hook the drawbar to a tree, and see if I can get it moving... I'm sure with its massive 1500 lbs of weight, and its beefy hydro 4x4 drive line, that'll do the trick!

  3. #3Ronsii2019-11-11 09:57

    I know what would happen to me if I tried to do that.... It would stick so I'd really get on the throttle!!! then I'd break something else just before the thing would break free.... halfway and bend part of the hitch along with yanking out the tree which would then fall on the cab and break all the glass plus leave it twisted and mangled

  4. #4DIYDAVE2019-11-11 18:13

    Found the right tap, today, tried re-threading, no go. Gonna have to weld a nut, on top of the embiggened hole...

  5. #5kshansen2019-11-11 19:45

    Any chance of just drill out a bit and go with a 12mm? Or 7/16th inch?

  6. #6DIYDAVE2019-11-11 20:52

    Since the rest of the tractor is metric, gonna try to keep the field expedient repairs metric, too... To do it right, I should take it all apart, so the tap can go through the hole properly, with the shaft out. But the welder's a gonna be here fer some other stuff, so I guess it gets done quick and dirty...

  7. #7fast_st2019-11-12 05:05

    sounds like your setscrew/bolt wasn't as hard as it needed to be, maybe the wrong part. could always weld it up solid and make a new hole in another spot.

  8. #8DIYDAVE2019-11-12 06:15

    Only gots one spot to put it in, Dead center of the drawbar, under the PTO shaft, no room to move...