Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

inner axle seal leaking

theronbt ยท 2014-01-15 16:15

I am having trouble with my axle seal leaking. I saw my truck had oil all over the inside of the inner tire. I thought no big deal just the inner seal was leaking I took the hub off and replaced the brakes and the seal. I get it all back together and drove it a few days later and checked it and sure enough just as much oil as before. I checked to see if I damaged the seal but it looked okay as the same as the old seal but I already had it apart so I put the new one in. I am not sure what I did wrong or is there possibly something else that would cause this. Thanks in advance

Replies7
  1. #102Dmax2014-01-15 16:41

    Make sure there wasn't a wear ring on the axle stub that should've been removed and make sure everything is clean and the inner rubber of the seal rotates. Pretty straight forward job usually. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2theronbt2014-01-15 16:45

    That's sort of what I thought straight forward but something isn't right. Just thought I may have missed something

  3. #3fsmech2014-01-15 18:47

    Hello, just something quick to check is if the differential housing breather condition? If the breather us blocked, once the oil heats up it will pressurize and blow out past seals, even brand new ones. This happens on transmissions aswell, common if machine has been used in harsh conditions!

  4. #4werkhorse2014-01-16 01:48

    Had a problem on an old 3070 ACCO years ago ... Did about 5 wheel seals until we found it had a hairline crack in the hub where the seal went in...couldn't see it until it was tested... Only opened up when the driver got the brakes warmed up a bit going up and down into thel quarry

  5. #5heymccall2014-01-17 21:21

    What kinda truck/ axle?

  6. #6OCR2014-01-18 07:55

    http://www.skf.com/group/products/s...als/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html OCR

  7. #7DoyleX2014-01-18 15:29

    Check for a loose hub. Ive had the spindle get a wear mark from weight on the bottom that wouldnt let the bearing bottom out. Slide the bearings on and off the spindle and see if anything binds up.