Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing a thumb on a Takeuchi TB016

ronbourd ยท 2022-09-28 20:02

Can someone tell me the part number for the overload valve needed on the auxillary circuit when installing a thumb on my Takeuchi TB016 serial 11605456? would that OEM part from Takeuchi be a bolt on part that fits directly on the control valve? Thank you for your help, Takeuchi are not very common in my region! We live in Rimouki, Quebec, Canada.

Replies9
  1. #1Mark Foreman2022-10-03 10:06

    Follow the auxiliary lines/hoses from your stick, to your main control valve blocks under your floor. The control valve for the auxiliary hydraulics is there , each side has its own relief, at least that's the case with my takeuchi tb016. If you need the part number still, I can look it up when I get home.

  2. #2ronbourd2022-10-03 11:35

    Mark, thanks for your reply, I understand that there is one relief valve at each end of the spool (auxilliary line). But me i need to know if instead of the relief valve, I can take the relief valve off and install an overload valve at where the relief valve was installed at the factory. This overload valve would be installed to proteck the cylinder from to much pressure when an hydraulic thumb is installed on the auxilliary line. What do you think6

  3. #3Mark Foreman2022-10-03 12:10

    My understanding is that the relief valve does exactly that. You loosen the hexnut, and turn the allenhead ccw to decrease, and clockwise to increase pressure. It's something I've yet to do myself, as I recently installed a hydraulic thumb on my TB016. I'm not sure where to hook up a guage to read pressure. Currently just being cautious when operating the thumb, as at present, the bucket won't overpower the thumb

  4. #4ronbourd2022-10-04 07:59

    Mark, the relief valve will have the cylinder receive the pressure that the said relief valve is set to . But this valve will not release if the pressure will come from the cylinder, if the cylinder is squeeze from the bucket cylinder. There is such a valve (overload valve) on the boom cylinder. This is my opinion...If i find better solution, i will let you know.

  5. #5Mark Foreman2022-10-04 09:42

    Where on the boom is the overload valve? Looking at the auxiliary control valve on my TB016 there looks to be relief valves on each end,one goes to the extend side of the thumb cylinder, the other to compress side, I think. Each appearing to have allenhead adjusting screws I'm no expert, still learning. This forum and you folks have taught me a lot . I've had my thumb on for close to 6 months . Still haven't set proper relief pressure, but I'm careful not to curl the bucket into it. Again I thought I could set relief by turning that screw on the relief valve for the compression side counter clockwise. Haven't attempted thus far, as I'm not sure where to set guage at, and for adjusting that side, I'll have to move a couple hoses. Also would be great to hear how others did it.

  6. #6Mark Foreman2022-10-04 13:26

    Found parts manual for TB016. Section for hydraulic thumb has an overload valve listed, p/n 1901736200. Would you install this in series before your thumb cylinder?(rod end).

  7. #7ronbourd2022-10-07 08:07

    Mark, I am doing test on my machine, if the results are good, I will post them.... installing a relief valve on the thumb pressure line, with a check valve with a cracking pressure of 5 psi on the thumb cylinder return side (to prevent vacuum. From the relief valve installed and attatched on the stick, the will be a return line going to the hydraulic tank....

  8. #8Mark Foreman2022-10-07 11:31

    Hope all goes well. Keep me posted.

  9. #9PeterG2022-10-16 14:46

    I have the service manual if you need it. I have an after market thumb on my TB16. No problem to "curl the bucket" into the thumb, just don't go overboard if moving the bucket up and in. Thumb is operated with the left foot pedal. Thumb hoses are connected at the end of the boom to quick connects. I also have a hydraulic breaker I use on the machine. Never adjusted anything on the pressure or flow. On my TB240 I can adjust the pressure in the cab, and the TB153FR with a wrench.