I need some help on installing brakes on a 3 axle homemade trailer that looks to used to a mobile home frame. Its 26ft x 8ft trailer. Which axle do the brakes go on? Front, Middle, or Rear? Any write ups on doing this?
Brakes belong on all three axles. They should just bolt on and wire in.
I agree, if it takes three axles to carry the load, it will need three sets of brakes to stop.
I agree three, you have to be able to stop the capacity of the trailer...
I think your state will have specific rules on how many brakes you need on a trailer of various weight capacities. I'm in BC, Canada and they want brakes on all the axles. They also have specific rules about "homemade" trailers (need inspection before licensing) and have hissey fits about trailers using old mobile home axles. (like putting them off the road) I think some of the older mobile home axles (and brakes) were built very Mickey Mouse because the manufacturer reasoned that the axles would only see a few thousand miles at most. Your state probably has similiar rules. Whats the cute little cat in the photo? Jon.
Well if you don't have the flanges on the axles to bolt the backing plates to, it will probably be easier and maybe cheaper to just buy new axles with brakes attached. And if they are old mobile home axles, then you will prolly need tires too as mobile home tires are stamped "for mobile home use only" and are limited to three moves or 600 miles I believe. And a proper inspection mechanic or dot super trooper will not like them very much.
I agree stumpjumper. If that trailer is built solid, I'd prefer having some Dexter axles under it. :yup
Make sure your wearing a supporter when it comes time to lift those ramps!
Looking at the pics, I would dump those axles. If for no other reason than to get rid of those stupid wheels! They do look like light duty MH axles. The axles look way too far to the rear in any case, might make weight distribution difficult. It looks like a nice trailer (except for the visual hernia I have from those ramps), so I think it would be worth some decent axles with E-brakes already installed, decent dual wheels and lo-pro tires.
did you get to install brakes on your trailer? i can help if needed steve
Mobile home axles are indeed designed for limited use (according to Dexter Axle) I have rehabbed a few and added electric brakes, flame cut a piece of 1/4 inch steel to slip over the axle (you can buy plates pre-made now) find the right backing plates to fit the drum, pre-loaded with everything were $75 each sized by shoe width and diameter. taped a penny to 4 spots inside the drum after adjusting the bearings (for spacing), put backing plate in drum and use the axle plate, bolted to the backing plate to spot where the plate gets welded to the axle. Tack weld, remove drum, sand off rust from drum faces, finish weld and wire it up. Worked really well.