Deere 310C boom pivot repair ... I've the new bushing in hand. They have a groove on the outside as well as the inside of the bushing for grease. The two grooves are connected with a single hole. Question: When driving the bushings into the bore, should I attempt to line the hole with the grease zerk fitting? Or should the bushing hole be some where else?
I always aimed for somewhere close, but that's what the outside groove is for, to carry grease from the zerk to the hole no matter the alignment. I don't think it's critical.
I agree on that. Lining the hole up with the grease fitting is not critical but if someone forgets to grease often and the grease gets hard in the out side groove having them lined up gives you a better chance of cleaning out enough old grease to get the joint to take grease again. Best plan is to grease often but not to excess. Just untill some slight amount of fresh grease is seen outside the joint. I try to convince people, note try does not mean succeed, to grease after operating to push out dirt that got in while working before it has a chance to get hard. Most around here still go by the "Squeaky wheel get the grease" maintenance program. "If It Needed Grease It Would Have Said so Loudly!"
Good points. My machine was the victim of a city maintenance miss program. That is, there were many missed grease points. I just got the swing tower pivot to accept grease. Had to heat the area to soften the old grease. Greasing AFTER working the machine when the joints are warm & dirt is fresh is a good point... But, as it usually happens, after working I'm too tired to grease. Thanks for the responses ... While not critical, I'll try to line the hole up with the grease zerk.
Try dumping the replacement bushing in a deep freeze or freeze it with dry ice before installing. You'll find it goes in a lot easier...........
Thanks ... for the tip. I've located a source for dry ice. I was thinking of greasing the bore. So I don't have to handle a cold AND greasy bushing. Any issue with the bore greased and not the bushing?
If you freeze it in dry ice it should go straight in with a few light taps. A good size block of hardwood as a hammer works well. No grease on either bush or bore.