I have a Case 380 CK landscape tractor with a miss. Fuel injectors tested good, I just put newly rebuilt injector pump on with no change. It does run better when I rotate the pump, but still misses, If I could rotate a little more I think it would be fine. It will not rotate any more it is up against studs. It idles good but misses when accelerated. Can the gear under the injector pump be turned ?
You checked the valve lash? Yes, you can move the gear a tooth at a time, but really should be timed by marks or service manual procedure.
You could narrow down which cyl. is giving you "the miss" by holding the throttle till it skips, and loosening the line AT THE INJECTOR, 1 at a time.. The suspect cylinder wont/shouldn't make any noise difference.. Kindda like pulling the spark plug wire on a gas engine to find a bad plug.. Then you could move the injector to another hole to see if the miss follows the injector.. OR, go to Harbor freight and pick up a temp. gun [cheap] and see which cylinder is colder than the rest.. You didn't mention anything about smoke or color when it miss's... Its a Delphi/ CAV pump right?? The timing is easy.. The front drive on the pump has a master spline and the gear has a dowel pin and will only bolt up 1 way.. That's to say, if the gear didn't move.. and that's not had to figure out, IF I had your pump #'s.. I WOULD definatly CHECK the timing FIRST, BEFORE moving any gears.. you might just be CREATING a problem..
It smokes heavily with a gray white smoke, and when I rotate the pump the smoke almost goes away and the miss gets a lot better. I just can't rotate the pump enough to get rid of miss.
The pump has a timing line on the mounting flange that lines up with some on the engine block.. [dephi/cav] IF your going ALL THE WAY to the end of the slots, something is definitely wrong.. I have the pump program on my computer so if you can get me the pump #'s, I can tell you what the internal pump timing is supposed to be and you can compare it to your engine timing.. chop chop.. I got **** to do.. LOL
Pump timing To time that engine you have to turn the crankshaft until the front cylinder inlet valve closes. You then install the oil pump and the injection pump drive as a unit. The engine oil pump and injection pump drive must be timed by starting the teeth meshing into the camshaft at the 4 o'clock position. As the drive is pushed fully into the engine block, the master spline will be between the 6 o'clock position and the 7 0'clock position. You install the spring in the hole of the oil pump shaft, and you install the injection pump drive shaft with the chamfered end up. Installing the pump, line up the spline and install, using the marks made before removing, or centering the slots to start with. The things that may cause a miss, wrong fuel or contaminated fuel, valve push rods bent, fuel nozzles, fuel nozzles not seated, head gasket, low compression, injection pump issue, timing incorrect, intake manifold gasket, valves damaged, valve springs, valves sticking, bent rod. The engine will run rough because of incomplete combustion and will emit white smoke from a bad cylinder. I would do the injector line test first like the pumpguy said, run it up a little and crack a line and try to see which cylinder it is missing, then like lantraxco said start with the valve adjustment along with push rods, rocker arms. The timing may need to be re checker using the steps talked about above while doing a valve check. Much more and you need a compression test to see if it's a compression issue, how many hrs are on your machine, and do you have much history on it?