Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance

Steffanyace ยท 2010-01-22 14:28

I would like to insure my dozer. Who do you guys like to use to insure your equipment? I'm looking for something that protects against vandelism, damage, theft, etc. and maybe liability. We won't be hualing it ourselves, so I don't need coverage for that. I originally planned on insuring it through USAA, but they won't cover it unless it is "attended by the insured or someone responsible for staying with the vehicle." We might be leaving it "unattended" at the subdivision we are working on. Is that a standard part of dozer insurance?

Replies8
  1. #1Kgmz2010-01-22 21:39

    I hope your contractors insurance is not with them. They do not know what they are taking about. What you need is called a "Inland Marine" policy for heavy equipment, etc.

  2. #2joispoi2010-01-23 11:09

    If somebody stays with the machine 24/7 you don't need theft and vandalism coverage. I could sell you the same exact coverage but when it comes time to file a claim, I'll have to decline payment because the machine was left unattended. I'd shop around if I were you. Find some agencies that specialize in small business insurance. Get at least 3 quotes and call then call each agent and tell them that the price is ridiculous and that you want them to lower it. If you are going to leave the machine unattended, vandalism panels are a worthy investment as well as locks on every tank that is accessible enough to put sand, dirt, water or you name it in.

  3. #3Steffanyace2010-01-25 10:59

    The dozer came with a vandalism package. If we used job cameras on the dozer would that still be considered "unattended?"

  4. #4joispoi2010-01-25 12:05

    That's exactly the type of question your insurance agent should answer. Let them do a little leg work to earn your business. If they won't give you the time of day when you're looking for a quote, forget about it if you need to file a claim or get a certificate of insurance for a job....find another agent.

  5. #5Kgmz2010-01-25 13:40

    Ask your insurance and find a better company, because that is ridiculous. What if you have it stored in your backyard and you go out to dinner, is that considered unattended? I hope you are not insuring your on road vehicles with this company, you go to the mall to buy some new work pants and your car is out in the parking lot. Is that considered unattended? I know this is stupid, but we can't answer your question because none of us have a policy with that company and none of us would. In my 30+ years of being a contractor I have never heard of something like this, and if I had that agent better have a good answer.

  6. #6eRay2010-01-25 13:52

    Mine is almost as stupid as your "unattended" exception. My coverage states the machine is not covered while being " transported". My biggest risk is probably while transporting and I am not even covered then.

  7. #7Kgmz2010-01-25 17:45

    Do you haul your own equipment or hire it out?

  8. #8eRay2010-01-27 14:37

    I hire out the transportation hoping that if something goes wrong the carriers insurance will cover it.