Last time the glass guy cam to put glass in he had a tool for the rubber seal that opened and closed it. It is the age old half round rubber seal that fits on 1/8" steel door on cab and it's around my windows. Hope you know what I mean it's like a screw driver with a hook or something. It has been a while. thanks
I've used a cotter pin puller in the past. It looks like and awl with a 90 degree bend and a twist. Hope this helps. I do not know if there is a specific tool to use.
http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-lis47000.html
I've used a cotter pin puller for lots of jobs but rarely use it for pulling cotter pins.
Cotter pin puller. Hello. I always thought that a cotter pin puller was for everything but cotter pins, kind of like duct tape and ducts. http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/duct_tape.html
Around here we use two people and a small piece of rope. Put the rope inside the seal and make it meet in one corner. Get one person on the outside pushing on the window and the other person on the inside pulling on the rope and work your way around. Just start in the corner where the two ends of the rope meet and use lots of WD 40 or soapy water. Hope it works for you.
I bought that tool from Snap-on, it's really handy, I've got Kenworth flat windshield swaps down to about 15 minutes. That tool helps get the center cord back in place, the only time it hits trouble is working next to big visors and mirrors, you run out of room.
My hat's off to ya Muffler Bearing. I thought of trying doing glasswork and met with technicians to "help" them change glass in a couple of our excavators. One guy had a hell of a time getting the front glass out of our 312. He had to use some type of sawsall tool to cut the widow out of the frame. The other guy had also struggled with the side glass on a Hitachi 160. I'd like to be able to fix everything but I can't. Sometimes it's more realistic to hire someone to do what they do best.
thanks all for the help!:drinkup
KW's are just really easy, on Peterbilts I break to plates to get one in, and I really can't speak for HE .
A few years back a friend that owns a big glass company came himself to put glass in my excavator. I said "that's neat to use a cotter pin puller." He said "no it's a glassman's gooseneck tool. they cost $67 and I don't put them on the trucks, I issue them to the people." "They're $3.99 at sears" "No they're not!" I went in the shop and got one w/ Craftsman on it and said "here now you have a spare" He said ":Banghead:Banghead no thanks I'm stopping by and ordering 25 on the way back" I said " "
yep! cotter pin puller and a can of spray silicone lube works wonders.....
isn't the side glass is glued in on JD's and Hitach's
Yeah, I think the "side glass" is glued in but the window I meant to refer to was the door glass. Can't remember if it was the slider or the fixed window?