Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance for a medium duty/dump truck 27150 GVW

overhaulin ยท 2016-08-01 10:13

Hi guys, Does anyone have a preferred insurance provider for a medium duty truck, that won't break the bank? I've got no accidents or tickets, thank God for over 30 years, but I know it probably won't be cheap. I am looking at purchasing a 1991 International, DT466, single axle, dump and I am just trying to get an idea of all the related costs. Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies4
  1. #1lumberjack2016-08-01 10:20

    My grapple truck (non dumping) is with Progressive for what I consider to be a very affordable rate. I've been with State Farm for 15 years, but after my grapple truck I bought an F150 and put it with Progressive as well. Carl

  2. #2Labparamour2016-08-01 18:36

    I've used Geico for 6 yrs now (policy is through National Indemnity). I have a 7 yd single axle. I went w/ $500,000 limit and price seems reasonable. Not sure if I'm taking a big risk- I saw $750,000 requirement in state regs but I opted for 500k. I just use it for farm work and not hire.... Thankfully haven't yet needed to make a claim. DB

  3. #3alskdjfhg2016-08-01 19:34

    Farm, not for hire use with the F800 33,000lb GVW. Have insurance with a local subsidiary of progressive for $30 a mouth. Not sure the size of the policy though.

  4. #4Junkyard2016-08-01 20:04

    Will it be private use or for hire? If it's private as long as the insurance meets the state's minimum limits you're at least good from a legal standpoint. If you're for hire the minimum liability you have to carry is $750,000. If you don't have commercial tags or DOT numbers then insure at a level you're comfortable and play dumb if the man pulls you over. Not sure how OH does it. In OK if it's farm tagged insurance is dirt cheap and you can darn near do anything you want within a 100 miles or so from home. Progressive does a good job of offering a fair rate and good service. My pilot cars used to be with them because they were one of the few than offered $1,000,000 commercial liability for a company that wasn't neccesarily a motor carrier. All my trucks were through Great West Casualty and they were exceptional to work with and not bashful about charging me! Haha. Hope that helps a bit. Junkyard