Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance for a personal/farm box truck?

fastline ยท 2025-03-19 19:07

We have a private use, old Isuzu box truck that gets very little use. Getting totally hammered on insurance because they say it is "commercial". I am trying to figure out how to get it insured cheaper. Ideas? Companies? All the main personal companies either won't insure, or must be commercial. 12M tag, not tagged commercial.

Replies4
  1. #1Willie B2025-03-19 19:14

    I have a great agent, found me Progressive. I have several trucks insured, two are old. GMC Top Kick is 1990 model year, odometer doesn't move far each year. Their annual is pretty gentle.

  2. #2fastline2025-03-19 19:20

    Is that a commercial policy? Progressive is what we have now. I guess reality is we will continue to pay for the truck many times via insurance, to drive it 500mi/year. We might just need to find a way to get it to pay for that.

  3. #3MG842025-03-20 20:29

    Farm Bureau is who I use for our farm, commercial, and personal autos. The farm trucks are under the commercial policy, but have different rates. The low use farm only trucks are dirt cheap, like $120/year for liability only.

  4. #4Coaldust2025-03-20 20:46

    Interesting. I switched some pickups from personal to commercial with Progressive and the rates went down. I would check with Progressive and see what they have to offer.