Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance question for guys with mini excavators in Canada

moparguy55 ยท 2010-01-12 16:43

Hi All, Just wondering what type of insurance you guys have for your mini's ? I'm thinking of buying a mini and do some digging work on the side. I assume most guys have some sort of liability insurance ? I wouldn't be doing big jobs, but wouldn't want to rupture a city water pipe or get sued by somone. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1wolf442010-01-12 18:31

    5 million min. You hit a fiber cable and 1 million a mimute is not unheard of. 100,000 for a 1' dia fiber cable.

  2. #2moparguy552010-01-12 18:46

    What are we talking for premium per year for 5 million in coverage ?

  3. #3wolf442010-01-12 18:54

    In your country god only knows. Call a insurance guy and ask. That phone call will be the cheapest part.

  4. #4Digger Dan2010-01-12 21:15

    I have 2 mil liability for damages on my machine and full fire and theft for 2 grand a year and that is only for residential work, no commercial coverage needed for me yet.

  5. #5moparguy552010-01-13 09:45

    This is ecaxtly what I was looking for thanks .I'll compare this to what my insurance quotes me. Mind you everything is more expensive in Qbec. Pretty much communist here. You drive a vehicule with an engine larger than 4L cost you an extra $150 in plates. Thats just the tip of the iceburg. Rant over

  6. #6esobofh2010-02-12 16:54

    Hey Dan - is this liability insurance to cover when you mess something up, or just damage to your machine?

  7. #7Digger Dan2010-02-12 20:28

    No not the machine but if I damage something like a gas line or something like that, residential only for now though, not covered for any type of commercial work