Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance Question from Homeowner Looking Into Rental

eb2143 ยท 2011-08-16 11:49

Hi there: Myself and my retired father are looking to do a little work on his small (55 acre) woodlot. The woodlot has a 4 or 5 acre field at the base which is very rough with old stumps and some rocks. We would like to smooth it out into a nice field, and possibly expand the field once we have a forester come in and assess the timber. There is also an existing skid-road to the top of the hill that he is building a off-the-grid Yurt on for a retirement get away. So we'd also like to prepare a small area for the platform and to slightly improve the road to the top. Finally, there is an old cellar hole filled with junk (appliances mostly) that the excavator would enable us to remove and haul off. We realize that it could probably be done cheaper in this economy by hiring out someone with idle equipment, but the enjoyment of doing it yourself when you want it done keeps us considering renting. The land, by the way, is at the the end of a series of dirt roads that is completely devoid of any structures or buried lines, etc, with really no risk of property damage in the traditional sense. We will be working on dry solid ground as well. We like to think we will be very responsible renters and certainly are not looking to abuse the machine.We are also planning on renting a mini Caterpillar excavator for a couple of days that we can haul with our truck to learn the joystick controls, which I believe are near-universal from CAT's smallest to bigger units (is this correct?). I'd like to get a 315 or 320 or similar Deere/Komatsu 15-24 ton machine with a hydraulic thumb and finishing blade, but it looks like a 312 may be the biggest reasonable option. We have been in contact with a number of rental agencies and two are willing to rent and deliver a 312 for about $2,000 for 40hr/7day rental (delivery and return trucking about 500-700), but the primary hurtle is insurance, required for the renter to have in by both rental companies. Thus the primary question we have is where should one look for short-term liability insurance for a 125-250k machine?! I know that there are places that rent up to a 320 to the average joe, but I don't know if they somehow supply their own insurance or what. Any hints/tips are appreciated, realizing that this may be a futile effort in our area (Grafton NH). Anybody who knows a willing rental agency in the area, we would love to hear form as well. Finally, any advice on machine size is appreciated. My research indicates a 312 should be the smallest we consider. TIA

Replies4
  1. #1lgammon2011-08-16 15:18

    around here you have to have a general liability for 1 million to rent from the cat rental store. this is not for the machine, the machines insurance is added on the to the rental bill. the general liability insurance is if you dig up a gas main, run it threw someones house, or god forbid kill someone. i don't know about where to find this kind of insurance for a home owner project, but if you have a business; you should have it already.

  2. #2Wardiker2011-08-16 15:26

    I know several people that have bought a used unit, worked thier land and sold it when done, got all thier money back, for a 55 acre lot it might be worth considering depending on your finances.

  3. #3eb21432011-08-17 11:10

    After looking at the prices of used units, they are cheaper than I had imagined, so I may float that idea. We don't own a business, so as you say getting liability insurance for a homeowner project is the hurtle. I wasn't sure if they wanted insurance on the machine too, so thanks for clarifying that. Our insurance agency said they couldn't help us. Anybody out there worked in the rental business at some time or another?

  4. #4xcmark2011-08-18 18:47

    I have a place just over the hill from you guys down in Dorchester. Like your self I was thinking about renting and takeing the time off from work and just clearing the lot then taking my time after the rental was over. I changed my plans and got a machine to do the work in my spare time . I have owned it over a year and the finance charges are still less then the rental fee if I had it for a week . True its a gamble but with 55 acres you mostlikely will find more then a weeks work for it . I would suggest a machine with a hydrolic thumb for sure, its very handy for cleaning trash , stumps , logs ,rocks...... I would say any machine over 15,000 lbs will do stumps up to about 20" hard wood , larger stumps take more time and you cant lift them once they are out with this size machine. A backhoe is a Jack or all trades but master of none , having said that bigger is better (and 4x4 is a must). If you looking to hire I have a friend of mine that is a Mass resident but stays up in Dorchester when work is slow that may be able to help you out with his mini excavator , he has a Kebelco 40 with a thumb and blade and a one ton dump.